1 2 Previous Next 26 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2017 9:43 AM by Alain Molimard

Tabcmd schedule extract refresh

Brian Knoth

Looking for a way to schedule an extract refresh through tabcmd, either as part of the publish or refreshextract commands. Currently, it's pretty cumbersome that extract-based workbooks can be published through tabcmd, but then manual intervention has to occur to log into Tableau Server to schedule periodic extract refreshes.  Wondering if there is either an undocumented means to do this through tabcmd or if anyone has any other suggestions for how to programatically schedule periodic refreshes. Thanks.

Brian.

• 1. Re: Tabcmd schedule extract refresh
          Toby Erkson

Why is it that you don't want to let Tableau Server do it for you?

• 2. Re: Tabcmd schedule extract refresh
            Brian Knoth

I do want Tableau Server to do it for me. I need a way to tell Tableau Server to schedule the refresh. Which is precisely the problem; I'm using tabcmd to publish the workbook, yet there is no way in tabcmd to also tell the server to schedule the extract.

I don't want to have to actually go to the server admin site and do it manually, we are trying to automate the process of publishing all our workbooks.

thanks,

brian

• 3. Re: Tabcmd schedule extract refresh
              Toby Erkson

Brian Knoth wrote:

I do want Tableau Server to do it for me. I need a way to tell Tableau Server to schedule the refresh. Which is precisely the problem; I'm using tabcmd to publish the workbook, yet there is no way in tabcmd to also tell the server to schedule the extract.

Ah, gotcha.

I don't want to have to actually go to the server admin site and do it manually, we are trying to automate the process of publishing all our workbooks.

A little confused here on my part so bear with me as I'm trying to understand.  It takes a person to create a report so once the report is done what's wrong with the author simply publishing the report to the server themselves, along with user Group/permissions, naming, Project location, and scheduling?  It takes less than a minute to do, if even that.

• 4. Re: Tabcmd schedule extract refresh
                Brian Knoth

Toby,

The problem is that our particular environment does not make that feasible.

We have a collection of different databases (all based on the same database structure), however, with different actual data. Think of it like a dev, qa, staging, production. Then we have collections of these sets across different products, say like, app1, app2, etc. So, as you can see, in just this simple case we have 8 different Tableau Projects. Each project has the exact same set of workbooks, where the only primary difference is the database/source that they are using.

So, our process is that the BI team creates a new workbook that they want. They do this using any one of the available datasources, or maybe they have their own local. Then they commit that workbook into our source code control. We have a build process which then checks out any new workbooks, and publishes them to each of the project locations on Tableau Server (making appropriate workbook modifications for data source locations, usernames, etc).  This all works perfectly good and automates an otherwise cumbersome manual process.

The only missing piece that is making life difficult is that if the workbook contains an extract, right now, someone needs to go to each project on the Server admin tool and manually schedule the extract. I just want to be able to schedule it as part of the tabcmd build deploy.

Does that make sense?

brian

• 5. Re: Tabcmd schedule extract refresh
                  Toby Erkson

Ah, perfect sense!  Yes, we have a QA and PROD environment and now I understand what you mean.  There are other adminswith the same delima.  Sorry, no answer to your question.  But hey, I do have a rant

The below is my opinion on the matter:

This methodology of DEV, QA, PROD (and every other annoying instance in-between) is old-school whereas Tableau is more like "you can't hurt our [Tableau] server so just publish the workbook already!"  It looks like Server was originally designed to fix the issue of report dissemination but -- unintentionally? -- evolved into a corporate portal which forces it to then undergo old db practices.

While I do understand the need for a QA environment for Server upgrade testing, it should be only that.  My envisionment is that only a few experienced authors use QA for testing, and really just briefly for verifying that reports function in the updated Server when a release is announced.

I've been doing various forms of BI report development for many years and the whole SANDBOX, DEV, QA, STAGING (especially this stage!!!), PROD, is so last century, so cumbersome.  Tableau is one tool where I find it unnecessary.

• 6. Re: Tabcmd schedule extract refresh
                    Brian Knoth

This is getting off topic, so I don't want to spend much time on it.  We don't have different environments to test our Tableau workbooks, we have different environments to test and validate our applications/games. Part of that testing is to ensure that the apps are properly reporting metrics for BI analysis which is why each environment has a mirror Tableau project.  Even taking away the notion of staging/prod, etc, we would still be confronted with the exact same problem with different applications. 

My initial question was to see if there might be an undocumented means of scheduling extract refreshes through tabcmd, or if we could expect this in an upcoming release. Are there any reps from Tableau on these boards that could respond to that?

thanks.

• 7. Re: Re: Tabcmd schedule extract refresh
                      Toby Erkson

Ok, wow, really different scenario.  Good to know, I like details and this was significant so ignore my rant.

What version of Server are you using?  Because I'm looking at version 8 on-line documentation and I see

runschedule schedule-name

Runs the specified schedule. This command takes the name of the schedule as it is on the server. Example:

tabcmd runschedule "5AM Sales Refresh"

There's also

refreshextracts workbook-name or datasource-name

Performs a full or incremental refresh of extracts belonging to the specified workbook or data source. This command takes the name of the workbook or data source as it appears on the server, not the file name when it was published.

Couldn't refreshextracts be used by a scheduler?  Have the scheduler run a batch file.

• 8. Re: Re: Tabcmd schedule extract refresh
                        Toby Erkson

Hmm...do you want to create your own schedules via tabcmd?  Meaning you don't want to go to each server and manually set up the schedule?  If so, I don't see that ability.  If only a few schedules it would be a pain but not too bad.

• 9. Re: Tabcmd schedule extract refresh
                          Cristian Vasile

Brian,

Could schedule task (schtasks) windows command options or task scheduler (gui of schtasks) help you?

Regards,

Cristian

• 10. Re: Tabcmd schedule extract refresh
                            Brian Knoth

Yes, Tableau 8 Server and that's what I've found as well. There are ways to run a schedule & force a refresh but no way to schedule a refresh.

Also, yes, it does look like it's more and more the case that we will need to use a scheduler external to the Server and execute the extract refresh directly through that. Seems, pretty lame though, since the Tableau Server already has all this functionality.... just missing a very key part in tabcmd.

• 11. Re: Tabcmd schedule extract refresh
                              Brian Knoth

Thanks Cristian, I think I'll take a deeper look into that. It's not ideal (as I'd just rather use the Tableau Server Scheduler), but it's better than needing to implement our own.

Actually, we may be able to just set a cron job on our linux server as well (that just came to me while thinking about the schtasks)

brian

• 12. Re: Tabcmd schedule extract refresh
                                Toby Erkson

Brian Knoth wrote:

Yes, Tableau 8 Server and that's what I've found as well. There are ways to run a schedule & force a refresh but no way to schedule a refresh... Seems, pretty lame though, since the Tableau Server already has all this functionality.... just missing a very key part in tabcmd.

Turn this into an Idea

• 13. Re: Re: Tabcmd schedule extract refresh
                                  Cristian Vasile

Brian,

You wrote the magic word LINUX - in this case i will suggest you to read this thread

HOWTO: tabcmd on Linux - step-by-step guide

Regards,

Cristian.

• 14. Re: Tabcmd schedule extract refresh
                                    Brian Knoth

Thanks, yes, we are already doing that. tabcmd on linux is working like a charm for us (aside from the missing schedule extract refresh functionality, of course).

brian

1 2 Previous Next