2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2013 6:09 PM by Jonathan Drummey

roger.caloni

• 1. Re: List of Values (LOV) in Tableau?
          Shawn Wallwork

Hey Roger, welcome to the forums!

I'm going to take a shot in the dark here and guess Tableau is NOT organized the way you think it should be (or the way you described in your post). Having said that I suspect your best bet is to engage richard.leeke.0 to help you sort out your issues. He's the champ at these sorts of performance issues.

--Shawn

PS: Not sure, but he might be available as a consultant.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Re: List of Values (LOV) in Tableau?
            Jonathan Drummey

Shawn, this is one of the use cases for Filter Actions.

See the attached. I used the Product table from the CoffeeChain DB to represent Table 3, it's one data source and set up in a worksheet with a list of values. Then I used the regular CoffeeChain data to make a big table with lots of marks. Brought the two tables into a dashboard, then set up a Filter Action from the LOV that applies to the big table. Took <3 minutes.

In your case, you'll need to tweak things a little bit. You'll have table3.field6 as your LOV, and put table3.field5 on the Level of Detail Shelf (so it's in the view but not displayed) in the LOV worksheet. table1.field2 will also need to be in your data view. If table3.field5 and table1.field2 have the same name, you should be all set. If not, then when you set up the Filter Action, you'll need to adjust the Target Filters to connect those two fields.

Jonathan