2 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2013 9:27 AM by Toby Erkson

How best to communicate with internal Server users?

Dan Gerena

We use Server, and have a few hundred users in about 2 dozen user roles.

Often, we need to communicate with a particular role (let's say "Sales" or "Finance") about new dashboards, new functionality, etc.

Is there a way to quickly extract the users in a role from Server? Further, is there a way to extract their respective email addresses?

Ideally, I'd like to dump a list of the email addresses for those folks into Outlook, type a message and hit send. At present I manually need to compile that list of addresses and it's very cumbersome...help!

• 1. Re: How best to communicate with internal Server users?
          Matt Lutton

I will be interested to see replies to this.  I am new to server as well, and would also like to know if this is an option.  If the data is stored on each user in your data source,it would make it easy to compile your lists.  If you don't handle the data warehouse yourself, you might request this from your IT folks.

Automated email functionality would be very helpful in a lot of cases where I'm at--for instance, I'd like to have emails automatically sent to parents of students when absences or tardies reach a certain level for a student.  That would make someone's life much easier.

• 2. Re: How best to communicate with internal Server users?
            Toby Erkson

I've created email distribution lists and add/remove users accordingly.

Very unfortunately the views in the Tableau Postgre db are VERY limiting   I don't see any email address field in it.