2 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2013 5:02 AM by gioel.molinari

Measure Names in table and action filtering via Link

gioel.molinari

I am trying to do something which I think is relatively simple: I have a bunch of measures with dimensions of country and date (time series). I have a table that shows countries as rows and measures as the columns. I would like to be able to create an action such that when I click on a cell in the table it links me to a simple line chart of that measure for that country.

I cannot seem to do this because when I add multiple measures as columns in the table view the pillbox becomes 'Measure Names' and from there I cant see to do anything with the Actions such that it recognizes what measure corresponds to the column i click on. It carries through the country filter, but not the measure name for the column.

I have attached sheet and any help is much appreciated!

• 1. Re: Measure Names in table and action filtering via Link
          Robin Kennedy

As you discovered, you can't use the Measure Names field as an option in a dashboard or worksheet action.

There are a few workarounds though...

1) Create your chart so that it makes sense to show all three of the measures at once - you can do this using a dual axis chart... see the example

2) Add a parameter to allow the user to change the measure being displayed on the chart after they have selected a country (admittedly, this isn't as slick)

3) Reshape your data so that you just have the one measure, but an extra dimension detailing the name of the measure (e.g. CPI, GDP etc) then you can use this in your table and also use it as an option in the filter action.... see example 2

Hope that helps.

Robin.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Measure Names in table and action filtering via Link
            gioel.molinari

Thanks Robin. Good to see your suggestions correspond to what muddled more or less figured. I did option 1 and I think I'm ok!