12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2018 1:13 PM by Sag Pat

Creating hyperlinks to open the next sheet

parvinder.bindra.0

Hi All,

Can we do something in a way that we want the data of a particular column set in a way that we click the value and it re-directs us to the next sheet.

Like the in-built feature we have to right click and see the underlying data...but what my requirement is to  be create a column value a hyperlink and on clicking any value we can open a new sheet with related details to that.....

Appreciate your help in advance.

• 1. Re: Creating hyperlinks to open the next sheet
          Jonathan Drummey

You can create a Filter Action that will jump the user to another sheet or dashboard, it's also possible to define a common field between the worksheets/dashboards and just "filter" on that so no filtering actually happens, if that's desired.

The one thing we can't do is limit the action filter to a single column of a worksheet, it will work on every column. For that reason I tend to use Filter Actions as menu items rather than having them work on single click.

See the attached for an example.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Creating hyperlinks to open the next sheet
            Matt Lutton

Jonathan Drummey:

Is your experience that end users prefer the menu option over a single click filter action?

Have been spending hours a day reading through forum posts.  I really appreciate the amount of time and effort you, and others like you, have put into helping others.  Thanks!

• 3. Re: Creating hyperlinks to open the next sheet
              Jonathan Drummey

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for your appreciation, we like to help out (and learn by doing so)!

It depends on what I'm trying to do. If the action is affecting another sheet on the same dashboard, then I'm more willing to use a single click or even a hover action. Examples of this are using one worksheet as a filter for another set of worksheets. If the action is a hyperlink like the above example, I'll tend to use a menu action because the more common user expectation is that a click selects data. If I want to use a single click then I'll style the text as a hyperlink.

Does that make sense?

Jonathan

• 4. Re: Creating hyperlinks to open the next sheet
                Matt Lutton

Yes.  I just haven't spent much time with end users yet, so I wondered what your experience has shown you in terms of best practices.  Thanks for the reply!

• 5. Re: Creating hyperlinks to open the next sheet
                  parvinder.bindra.0

Jonathan,

Thanks for your reply above, what i see that you shared the workbooks wherein we click anywhere and it open the new sheet.

However, in my scenario, i have 4 different coulumns in my sheet1 say

eg

Item   Min   Max    PO     RO    PR   IR    IO

101     1       5      100      1       2     1      2

102     1      11      210      2      1      1     1

So, the objective is when you click for the PO values say (100 and 210) as we 2 records only, so another sheet opens to provide you with the details of the transaction for PO records. Simillarly, if user clicks the RO values (1 and 0), then another sheet open for  RO details, and i need the same functionality for PR, IR and IO columns too. So is this achievable, pls suggest how?

Thanks in advance,

Parvinder

• 6. Re: Creating hyperlinks to open the next sheet
                    Jonathan Drummey

Hello Parvinder,

Without knowing any details of how your data is set up (is PO a dimension or a measure, how does PO relate to Item, etc.?) I can't give you an exact answer. In general, Filter Actions (what we use to get hyperlinks) are applied to entire worksheets, not to specific columns or rows within a worksheet, and hand off whatever values have been selected by the user (or are present in the worksheet).

Also in general, you can approximate a "go to details for X column" function in two ways:

- Instead of using a single worksheet to display your data, use several worksheets in a horizontal layout container where each worksheet has one or more columns. The first worksheet shows the Row headers and the rest have hidden headers (so they maintain the same sort order). Then you can have per-worksheet Filter Actions that direct the user to the right places. This has the disadvantage that if a user sorts one worksheet, the other worksheets will not be sorted.

- Rather than using Single Click Filter Actions, use a Menu Filter Action (the default). Then when the user hovers over the worksheet, they can choose to go to the PO sheet, or RO sheet, etc.

Jonathan

• 7. Re: Creating hyperlinks to open the next sheet
                      AJ Fahmy

Wrong recipient

Thanks,

AJ Fahmy

BI Developer

Global Data Solutions

Elhamy.fahmy@mediacom.com<mailto:Elhamy.fahmy@mediacom.com>

T: 734-677-8017

2301 Platt Road, Suite 400 Ann Arbor MI 48104 USA

www.mediacom.com<http://www.mediacom.com/>

• 8. Re: Creating hyperlinks to open the next sheet
                        parvinder.bindra.0

Johnathan, I could not really understand how to do this, though PO value is at item level

Sent from my iPhone

• 9. Re: Creating hyperlinks to open the next sheet
                          Jonathan Drummey

Please provide a packaged workbook with some sample data, then I can help you out.

• 10. Re: Re: Creating hyperlinks to open the next sheet
                            parvinder.bindra.0

Hi Jonathan,

I am attaching a workbook, It has 2 extracts Fast_data and PO_Detail data. Now the the first sheet has summary data.

You can see that for a particular part we have summarized data in "Sheet 1".

And second extract has po details for the PO_Qty.

Now the objective when i click on the PO_Qty record in Sheet 1, it should open a another sheet automatically with filtered records for that part_number and organization only.

Pls help how can we achieve this, though we have two seperate extracts using action filters in believe you said can be achieved. Can you do a same in the workbook...pls help me on this..

Thanks in advance.

Parvinder

• 11. Re: Re: Re: Creating hyperlinks to open the next sheet
                              Jonathan Drummey

See the attached...

I don't know what the "organization" is, you didn't specify what that field name would be in the primary or secondary. I made the PART_NUMBER visible in both worksheets, it doesn't actually have to be. The Filter Action is set up on the dashboard (filter actions can be set up on the worksheets).

The way filter actions work, they work on any part of the displayed view, so it's not just the PO_Qty that you can click to filter the other worksheet, it's any of the marks or headers.

Jonathan

• 12. Re: Creating hyperlinks to open the next sheet
                                Sag Pat

Thank you Very much Jonathan for your help. I was trying to do the same thing and found the solution. Thank you again...!!!