Looks like you were most of the way there! Here is what I did to finish it:
1. Create a subdirectory for your image fileds and add Custom Shape image files to the My Tableau Repository\Shapes\ directory. They will now be available to assign as shapes.
2. Create a calculated field for each measure to make one gender a negative value (so I can center on zero). Use these fields instead of the original fields.
3. Create a dual axis using Measure Values (made sure to synchronize the axis), then set one as a bar and one as a shape and used the custom shapes.
4. Changed the formatting of the [Measure Values] on the pane to custom and used %0.00;%0.00 so positive or negative would show without a sign.
There might be a few minor things I left out of the list above. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them!
tableau help gender.twbx.zip 58.2 KB
Thanks so much for your answer.
What you created looks great. But I'm gonna be picky and keep asking. I attached another pic of what I want (created this in the dashboard, just added images, but I want to be able to do it the "proper way", plus I don't like the white background in the images) - so the only difference with yours really is that I don't want it centered around 0 but be able to show the actual numbers too, the proportion if that makes sense.
I think it's just couple simple steps, but I'm getting stuck at couple places:
1. I created copies of my values to do a double axis/chart -- but when I put them on the columns shelf, they stay as 4 separate measures and I can't really work with that. Is there a way to make these four measures into another 'Measure values'? Or is there some other trick to it? I know this is the basics but I keep struggling with the double axis and charts....
2. I managed to get the two images for boys and girls into the chart - but when I use them, it just gives me their outline in one color, not the actual image (see the workbook attached).
Thanks so much in advance for a bit more help with this.