2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2014 4:02 PM by Blake Summers

Tableau support to HTML page reading it from SQL Server 20008 varchar data type

Avinash Patel

Hi All,

I was trying to showcase Text data (Summary) in Tableau dashboard but was not able to exceed 255 character as my datasource was excel, so i used SQL Server 2008 R2, to upload the data into DB and fetch from DB to Tableau 7. I was now getting more than 255 characters.

But i was not able to Underline my headers or sub headers, use bullets, or underline specific text or use different color in a SAME CELL of tableau sheet.

i can have only line breaker.

So, i tried using HTML, modified my summary text to HTML page with formatting and saved it into SQL Server

1> as XML datatype

2> as Varchar(max) datatype

In first case, tableau doesn't even recognize the XML column. so i assume it doesn't support directly.

In second case, its able to so it as string, and not recognizing string as HTML.

since there are 18 countries for which i am preparing summary report in Tableau as showcase, the data is huge and i need to use SQL Server.

Please let me know if there is any other possiblity to achieve text length and formating requirement ??

Regards,

Avi