9 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2013 6:10 AM by Matt Lutton

User/Group Filtering?

Matt Lutton

I know there are a lot of filtering options based on users.  I am working with a variety of schools, and rather than having several dashboards (one for each school), I would like to create one universal dashboard that will only display data relevant to the user logged into Server.  I am also interested in branding the dashboard differently, based on the user--so, say the school logo changes based on who is logged in.

Any feedback or linkage would be appreciated!

• 1. Re: User/Group Filtering?
          Shawn Wallwork

Matthew, I don't know/do server, but your requirements all sound perfectly doable. Pinging my friend Dimitri Blyumin to give you a bit of server advice.

--Shawn

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: User/Group Filtering?
            Dimitri.B

The first part (user/group filters) is easy, just follow the instructions in this link to Tableau Help: http://onlinehelp.tableausoftware.com/v8.0/pro/online/en-us/help.htm#publish_userfilters.html

The second part (dynamic logos) requires some hacking. The good news is that it works - I just tested it myself.

Here are the steps:

1. Add custom shapes folder with your school logos, as described here: http://onlinehelp.tableausoftware.com/v6.0/online/Output/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?context=Tableau_Online_Help&file=Tableau%20Online%20Help-15-23.html
            2. Create a text or Excel file with the list of your users (usernames, as per their logins), and connect to it as a secondary data source.
            3. Create a sheet with just usernames on rows (or columns) shelf, and nothing else.
            4. Switch to Shape graph type, i.e. each user gets their own shape.
            5. Edit shapes, select your custom logo shapes and assign relevant logos to respective users.
            6. Hide header and other elements of the sheet, leaving just logos. Don't worry about multiple logos showing and any scrollbars at this stage. Resize the shape to the desired size using Marks card size control.
            7. Set up user filter as per part one above for this data source, allocating server users to their respective user names in your data source.
            8. Place your logo sheet on the dashboard with your other graphs etc., resize as required.
            9. Publish workbook to server.

Unfortunately, I can't attach a working demo as it requires a server setup with users, etc.

• 3. Re: User/Group Filtering?
              Matt Lutton

Thanks so much for the advice. I will give it a try as soon as I can, really appreciate the help!

• 4. Re: User/Group Filtering?
                Matt Lutton

Dimitri:

I am attempting your hack. When I add potential usernames to the sheet, as a secondary data source, and assign shapes, the same shape shows up for each user and I do not see any way to specify a different shape for each user.  Am I missing something very simple?

• 5. Re: User/Group Filtering?
                  Matt Lutton

5/30  I still cannot seem to get this to work completely.  I have tried a number of ways, with no luck.  If using just userIDs, the same logo appears over and over, and cannot be changed.  I tried adding a linking another field, InstitutionID, which allowed me to have a different image for two different users, but if a third user is added, I have to add a copy of an image if I want to use it over again.

I also cannot get the user filter to work, based on who is logged in.  Tried connecting it to userID, but all images show up when any user is logged in.  Also tried connecting it to the InstitutionID.  Same result.

Any other work arounds out there, or am I missing something?

Here's a screenshot:

UserIDResult.jpg

• 6. Re: User/Group Filtering?
                    Kyle B

Is the userID in the datasource?

I'm not sure which method you tried, but I prefer this method as it is "automatic" if the username to school relationship is in your data source.

Scroll about halfway down to the second set of instructions:

User Filters and Row Level Security | Tableau Software

• 7. Re: User/Group Filtering?
                      Matt Lutton

My data source does not include user information.  We don't have any row level security built into our dashboards at this time.  Basically, we just have versions of dashboards for different types of users.  In the future, I'd like to create one dashboard, and have it display different data based on who is viewing it.  I have a grasp on how that is possible, but dynamic logos based on who is viewing the dashboard is another story.  I'd like to be able to change logos based on who is logged in.

• 8. Re: User/Group Filtering?
                        Kyle B

Dimitri's example certainly seems to be the best solution - I certainly can't come up with anything better

This stuff is difficult to deal with showing examples.

Maybe we should file an IDEA for Tableau to create a sandbox server environment that has users, so that we can publish examples that deal with user integration.

• 9. Re: User/Group Filtering?
                          Matt Lutton

His example did work, but I am very new to user filters and Tableau in general so it took a few more steps for me to figure it out.  I was able to get it to work, finally!  Now I need to test using an SQL data source, but don't see why it wouldn't work as long as all users are there. 

Thanks Dimitri Blyumin and Shawn Wallwork, for helping/providing a solution!

Good idea, Kyle.  I'd like to find a way to encrypt/scramble data in sensitive workbooks for sharing on the community as well.  I often don't have time to create the dummy data needed to provide a sample so others can help.  It would be great to have a one-click option to scramble sensitive info.  I know that's a long shot, and not a priority!