3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2014 2:06 AM by vincenzo.deconcilio

side by side bar chart labels

Vijay Chetty

I have a side by side bar chart with revenues for 2012 and 2013 for each month. My question is if there is any way to get the Month labels to the bottom of the graph so it is easy to discern which bars are for which months. When I simply drag the Month labels to the bottom, all of the 2012 bars go to the left and all the 2013 bars go to the right. Thanks for your help!

• 1. Re: side by side bar chart labels
          Joshua Milligan

Vijay,

As far as I know, there isn't a straightforward way to do this.  Tableau will let you have the highest level of column headers on the bottom (or you can force them to the top using the menu "Analysis" --> "Table Layout" --> "Advanced" and then uncheck the option for placing the highest level on the bottom).  But there's not a way to force more than one level to the bottom.

However, I've attached a workbook that shows a possible workaround.  This makes use of a dual axis where the second axis is fixed to allow some space at the bottom to place annotations for the months and labels for the years.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have!

Regards,

Joshua

Month and Year at Bottom.twbx.png

3 of 3 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: side by side bar chart labels
            Vijay Chetty

Thanks that helps a lot. Would you happen to know of any way to standardize those annotations so that each one is the same size and in the same location?

• 3. Re: side by side bar chart labels
              vincenzo.deconcilio

Thanks, it is interesting, but my question is: the month label (annotations) below the bar graph are filled manually?

I would need some other technique to make it work with every dataset, without having to play with annotations :-(