2 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2013 6:08 PM by Jonathan Drummey

Drilldowns with TreeMaps and Creating Filters

frank.bracco

Hi all,

So, one of the things it seems to me that Tableau doesn't handle very well at this point is drilldown in treemaps. Example: a treemap with fund type or department type would allow you to drill down to fund or department, respectively, even if you had the hierarchy set up. What I have done is set up these virtual fields using a virtual hierarchy(this was a suggestion I saw posted elsewhere that I thought was pretty cool). But, here is where I'm running into issues:

1. Go to http://public.tableausoftware.com/views/BudgetBookcamp/Dashboard1?:embed=y&:display_count=no

(you can download the workbook if you want)

2. On that dashboard, click on General Funds and then click keep only.

3. Now, under the 3), select "Fund" from the dropdown instead of Fund Type.

4. You'll see it's blank.

5. Now revert the dashboard and instead just do the dropdown to "Fund" and you'll see there are funds there.

So my thought was this could be a substitution for drilldowns. It works to some extent (as you can see with the dropdown and the virtual heirarchy), but I cannot actually filter by the different parent groups (fund type or department type) unless I add those in as quick filters (which I wanted to avoid so I didn't take up screen real estate).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could better accomplish what I'm trying to do?

Thanks