Are you using a data extract or live connection?
We are using the scheduled data extract in server which will get updated every month
Sorry, Server isn't my thing. When you said "updating in the filters in Desktop" it sounded like you might not be updating the extract, but refreshing the data connection, which would create the problem you described. I don't know how Server deals with monthly updates, so someone else will need to help you on this.
Actually that is a data extract with Custom SQL. It is scheduled in server. When each month the extract is getting refreshed with new data, the filters using that data is not getting refreshed...:(
8.0 is new, so it could be a bug. You said you have several sources though. Are you sure the quick filter is from the source you are updating? You might want to check to make sure you don't have a conflicting filter that keeps your new month from showing. I'm assuming you've validated that the new month is indeed in the source. Also, the filter won't automatically select the new month when you refresh the source. So with that said, you probably want to open a ticket with support.
Yes Mark. I am connecting to several sources but then the data for filter is getting populated from one single source. These are the steps i followed to test whether it works for single data connection.
1. Created a datasource and published to a server.
2. Create 4 worksheets connecting to that one datasource , applied filter based date dimension and created a dashboard, published it to server.
3. modified the datasource by removing some months and piublished the datasource again with the same name.
4. Open the dashboard from web and verified but no help.. The filters remain the same. Though I have removed some months from datasource and published again. It still shows the filter with those removed months and date is coming up when i select the month.
5. so I Again opened the workbook in tableau desktop and republished it to server. now it did not show the deleted months.
I dont know whether i am missing anything or something to be done ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I use data connections stored on Tableau Server's data engine as well.
The Date field you are using, is it from the original data source, or is it a calculated date field?
The reason I ask is because I have a data source where the date field is a calculated date field created from two columns in the data: month and year.
The only problem with this is if I schedule the extract to be refreshed on server the date doesn't refresh. I assume because it is a calculated field and not in the actual data. I have to refresh the extract in Tableau Desktop and then re-upload to Server, over-writing the existing data connection.
Just a thought anyway!
Thank you Emma.
The date field is not calculated, it is from original data source. I am using filter and displaying the date format as "Month Year" format. I am not doing any calculation.
I have a similar problem. I have a date field in the dropdown controlling the whole dashboard that is populated from the Oracle database. Upon manual data refresh/publishing everything works fine, the dropdown shows the latest date from the db.
But when I schedule the server to do the publish every day at 6am, the old date value is retained (in parenthesis), while the new dates are available in the dropdown for selection.
Is there a way to populate just the new date, and not show yesterday's date? It seems like a very basic requirement and I am surprised that its been a struggle finding a solution for this.
We have the same issue. We see the correct behaviour in Tableau Desktop, but in Tableau Web the quick filter is not getting refreshed. It looks to me like it may be a bug - has anyone tried to reproduce the issue using Superstore data?
Have you tried clicking the 3 horizontal bars in the right hand corner of the quick filter? When you hover over it it says "show smaller range". In my brief experience with tableau that will limit your filter to what is showing in the crosstab, graph, etc.
I'm assuming this issue has not been resolved, so I just wanted to chime in to say I am having similar issue but the opposite. I get the new values from the updated data just fine, but there are relic values remaining in the filter that should no longer be there because their values are no longer in the new data. If a user selects the value in the filter drop down menu all the visualizations go blank because there are no records in the data with that value anymore. I've tried dropping and reapplying the filters, resetting them, but to no avail.
Oddly enough, the only thing that seems to fix the issue is when I set the filters "Show More Values" setting to the lowest setting. This removes the relic values. However if I turn it back up, the values come back.