3 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2013 4:50 AM by Jim Wahl

Heading problem

Rajeev Bhardwaj

Hi,

I am new in tableau. please some one inform me how to change the headings in the Pivot. As I am changing one column(total) , then the other column heading is same as the 1st column(total).

We need to change the headings of highlighted columns with different alias in Tableau.

Thanks & Regards

Rajeev

• 1. Re: Heading problem
          Jim Wahl

Hi Rajeev,

I'm not entirely clear on your dataset and the necessary Tableau Rows/Cols layout, but one thing you can do is duplicate the measure or dimension, allowing multiple names for the same thing. ...

If this doesn't work, perhaps you could post a Tableau example (save it as a packaged workbook twbx), and I'm sure someone can help.

Jim

• 2. Re: Heading problem
            Rajeev Bhardwaj

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your imediate response. Yes your understanding was correct about my problem.

As you want the workbook.twbx to understand the complete problem, please find attachment.

Thanks & Regards

Rajeev

• 3. Re: Heading problem
              Jim Wahl

Hi Rajeev,

Here's one relatively simple solution that involves creating two worksheets and combining them in a dashboard:

Currently your "Total" is an alias for null SDG values. I created two new calculated fields

SDG  --- total alias 1 = IF ISNULL([SDG]) THEN "Total 1" ELSE [SDG] END

and duplicate, replacing 1 with 2

SDG  --- total alias 2 = IF ISNULL([SDG]) THEN "Total 2" ELSE [SDG] END

Then I duplicated your Sheet 1 twice, replaced the SDG field and removed one of the Ct_Pay measures, for Total 1--Ct_Pay and Total 2==Ct_Pay_tot, respectively.

Last I created a new dashbard with both of these worksheets, hiding the duplicate row headers on the second sheet.

The disadvantage to this approach is that filtering / selecting headers in the view is a bit more difficult, since the action needs to be applied to both sheets.

See attached twbx. I'm not sure if you want the total in the first column (like your Tableau example) or the last column (like your Excel example), but  you can change this by dragging it or selecting the pill and specifying a sort order.

report_jimw.png

Jim