0 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2013 5:14 PM by Paul Reichl

Are Google Maps Heatmaps as Actions possible in Tableau?

Paul Reichl

Hi All,

I am new to Tableau, so apologies in advance if this if this has already been covered somewhere under a search topic I haven't found.

I am wanting to add a Google Maps HeatMap as an Action item in Tableau (i.e an on click or menu action).

So far I have managed to successfully add Google Maps as an action item using the standard URL with substituted values approach. This all works fine.

I have then extended this so that I can draw polylines in Google Maps and I am then able to link this as a action item (using the read lat and lon from the URL and some jscript). Again this works fine.

However, when I try and link a Google Maps Heatmap as an action item (i.e. a heat map generated via the Goggle Maps API) it works fine when I use Test Link and the page is viewed in my browser, however it does not work when viewed in a dashboard.

I have tried viewing the Google Maps HeatMap in a number of browsers without a problem (i.e. Chrome, Firefox, IE9). When I view the HeatMap in IE and hit F12 and then select Browser mode as IE 8 and IE 9 it all works. However, if I select IE7 it doesn't work. (According to https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/google-maps-js-api-v3/SychHtp6bcw Google Maps Heatmap Layers don't work in IE7).

Based on this it would appear that Tableau must be using a fairly old version of IE (IE7) to open external web content. Does anyone know if this is the case?. And if so, does anyone know of any work arounds so that I can display a Google Maps HeatMap in a Tableau dashboard?

Thanks in advance,

Paul.