What are the territories based on? And are there any other geographic fields in your data source?
Hey! Territories are just an aggregation of non overlapping zipcodes
Since you didn't mention any other geo fields, I'll assume there aren't any. Here's how I'd go about doing it:
- Bring all you ZIPs into Tableau
- Create a map of the ZIPs
- Select all the ZIPs in one territory, then select Keep only
- Rt-click the map and click Show Data
- Highlight the ZIPs or the whole sheet, and copy to the clipboard
- Paste into a new Excel sheet (delete the Lat/Long is necessare)
- Create a territory column and Enter a name for Territory 1, copy drag the rest of the column
Repeat 1-7 appending each territory to the end of the list. After that you can use VLOOKUP() to transfer the territory name into a new column in the original spreadsheet. Then import into Tableau.
Not completely automatic, but easier than one at a time.
The other thing you might be able to do is just create groups or sets of ZIPs in Tableau and skip messing with Excel altogether.