6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2018 2:37 AM by Thomas Rones

Hierarchy Navigation in Filled Maps

Nicolas Kramer

Dear Reader,

I have a filled maps plot with a triple hierarchy in the details property. Lets say "state / region / neighbourhood" for examples sake.

Everything works fine, within the sheet I am able to drill down the detail level by simply clicking on the "+" sign next to the map. My question is then as follows:

I do not seem to be able to find how to add this functionality in a dashboard. When I publish the filled maps in a dashboard the details card disappears and there is no way to drill down the details level. Unlike the Horizontal bars plots, where on the top you get a "+" sign to drill down, the filled maps does not seem to have this functionality.

How can I allow the "+" of the details to be visible in a dashboard?

Thank you for your time,

Nicolas

• 1. Re: Hierarchy Navigation in Filled Maps
          Damien Paries

Hi Nicolas,

As I'm working on the same issue, I just let you know where I am currently.

1/ I've failed to fake the drilldown using different sheets overlaying within a vertical container on a dashboard (this workaround seems not to work with maps !)

2/ I'm trying using a parameter that will let the user select the level of drilldown and a calculated dimension based on the parameter. The problem is that you have to specify the geographical "role" of the calculated (either country or city or..) which kills the workaround.

What I'm trying now is to "fake" (add a calculated field) country and state fields, replacing them by a single city (main city). Whith this new fields, all measures for a specific country should be associated to the "main city" and main city will also have a city geographical role...

My problem is how to create this calculated field (something like "look fo the city which has the higher number of lines for this country", but I don't know how to do that

Hope it helps

Damien

• 2. Re: Hierarchy Navigation in Filled Maps
            Tracy Rodgers

Hi Nicolas,

One way to do this would be to use a string parameter that lists State, Region and Neighborhood. Then, create a calculated field similar to the following:

case [Parameter]

when "State" then [State]

when "Region"  then [Region]

when "Neighborhood" then [Neighborhood]

end

Then, place this calculation on the level of detail shelf and show the parameter control.

Hope this helps!

-Tracy

• 3. Re: Hierarchy Navigation in Filled Maps
              Shawn Wallwork

Tracy's solution will probably work if you are using polygons to draw your geo fills (I haven't tried it but I'm pretty sure it will).

However this solution won't work for normal filled maps using Tableau's native geometries, because the calculation results in a string that Tableau doesn't recognize as a geography. If you assign it a geography it only works for that one geography. If you put State and City on the level of detail then City shows, but State won't. See attached.

I've been working on this off & on for a while and I'm not coming up with anything, at least not anything simple. I'll let you know if I crack it.

--Shawn

• 4. Re: Hierarchy Navigation in Filled Maps
                Ville Tyrväinen

Hi Shawn,

did you ever find a solution?

• 5. Re: Hierarchy Navigation in Filled Maps
                  Ville Tyrväinen

You can ignore this one, I already found couple methods to do this with filled maps.