8 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2013 10:03 PM by Joshua Milligan

Unable to render data (Data not arranged well, still need to use it)

Siddharth Surana

Hey Guys

I have a situation that maybe very common due to the arrangement of data

I have attached a file with  2 sheets. Sheet 1 consists of the way I have data arranged (Unfortunately Cant arrange it in any other way) and Sheet 2 contains the way I would want Tableau to display the data.

Please help as I am unable to show the required data

Regards

Sid

• 1. Re: Unable to render data (Data not arranged well, still need to use it)
          Joshua Milligan

Siddharth,

See if the attached workbook comes close to what you want.  I included all the columns you indicated, but unchecked "Show Header" on the ones that you indicated you didn't want included in the report.  By having them define headers, but then hiding the headers, it should give you the line by line layout you wanted.

Regards,

Joshua

• 2. Re: Unable to render data (Data not arranged well, still need to use it)
            Siddharth Surana

Didnt realize this problem would have such a simple solution. Thanks a lot Joshua.

Now relating to the same question I have another problem. What if I have 10 Million rows for the Forecast ID (The column you just unchecked from Show Header). I have Tableau Professional 8.0, but it refuses to display so many rows. In that case, I do not have the option to place it in the rows shelf and uncheck the 'Show header' option for Forecast ID. Do you know a workaround for this?

Also, I wanted to know if I can have the option to filter on the date with 2 parameters, Start date and End Date? Can i split the same date and add two parameters for that? What kind of calculated field would be required?

Thanks a lot for your help and looking forward for your assistance further

Regards

Sid

• 3. Re: Unable to render data (Data not arranged well, still need to use it)
              Joshua Milligan

Siddharth,

I'll tackle the second question first:  It should be relatively easy to filter the date as a Date Range (drag the date field to the FIlters shelf, select "Date Range" and accept the defaults, then right click the field on the FIlters shelf and select "Show Quick Filter".  You can right click the field in the Dimensions pane and select "Default Properties" --> "Date Format" to change the way the date is displayed).  This will give you a slider with a start and end.  I think that would be preferable to using two parameters.  If I'm missing the reason for using the parameters, then I'd be happy to discuss how that could work.

filters.png

In terms of having 10 million rows:  I'm assuming you would never want a cross-tab report with 10 million rows.  Tableau knows this isn't a good visualization best-practice and it wasn't built to accommodate such things.  However, if you are looking to filter the data and then display a couple of dozen rows, Tableau should let you do that.  Build the filter first (as described above), constrain to a narrow time frame to limit the number of records returned, and then try adding the field to Rows.  I'm not sure where the cut-off is between the number of records where you'll get a warning and where Tableau will refuse to do it, but as long as you are not more than thousands of records you should be okay.  Ideally, a text table would be a few dozen rows at most as the human mind can't absorb much more than that (at least mine can't -- and that's why I'm glad Tableau has other ways to visualize massive amounts of data!)

Regards,

Joshua

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Unable to render data (Data not arranged well, still need to use it)
                Siddharth Surana

Thanks Joshua

Well am sorry maybe I did not make it very clear in the question. The date time stamp, instead of filtering on full dates, I want the ability to filter only by month/year. Can this be done?

And yeah. I completely accept your explanation regarding the best visualization. The problem normally arises when users who are not the best at building visualizations or interacting with them want all the rows so that later on that they can filter, that is when this problem comes up. I will work around the first problem and make my users understand of the limitations that we have while building a visualization.

Could you please answer the first part of the question?

You have been really helpful

Thanks a lot Joshua.

• 5. Re: Unable to render data (Data not arranged well, still need to use it)
                  Siddharth Surana

Also, I would want a slider with just months / year and not full date. Is that possible with sliders?

The reason I was using parameters was because I wanted two different Sliders for the same date. So one slider will show the start date and other the end data. This will then make up the range.

Thanks

• 6. Re: Unable to render data (Data not arranged well, still need to use it)
                    Joshua Milligan

Siddharth,

See if this gets close:

1. Right click the date field in the dimensions window and select "Create Custom Date..."

2. In the pop-up window, name the field as desired and select "Months" as the Detail and "Date Value"

3. Use the new field as the filter.  Select "Range of Dates" as the date filter type.  This will give you a range slider with only Month and Year on either end.  The only strange thing is that the starting end does not appear to be inclusive, so if you have October 2012 through February 2013 the dates displayed are really November 2012 through February 2013.  I'll have to defer to the Tableau developers to explain that one.

Regards,

Joshua

• 7. Re: Unable to render data (Data not arranged well, still need to use it)
                      Siddharth Surana

Hey Joshua

Thanks a lot. This solves my problem . Really appreciate your help. kudos!