2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2015 6:04 AM by Steve Berg

Should I Join data from different Google Analytics properties?

Emily Williams

I want to create a chart that shows Visits to different Google Analytics properties (different websites and apps) in a line graph.  When I attempt to pull in the Visits measure from each of the data sources, Tableau prompts me to Join the tables instead of linking the connections.

I would assume that I would NOT want to do this, b/c then the Visits would all look like they came from one website, right?2013-04-30_12-16-19.jpg

The end goal is a simple chart like this, where Visits to each of my separate properties in GA are trended together:

2013-04-30_12-22-15.jpg

(Note: The above visualization from GA is from before we broke the apps out into separate properties -- that's why I used to be able to create the chart directly in GA using Advanced Segments.  Now I just want to do the same thing by using Tableau to allow me to combine the 3 properties on a single chart.)

• 1. Re: Should I Join data from different Google Analytics properties?
          Emily Williams

OK, I believe I have answered my own question, and confirmed that in this case you would NOT want to Join the data as the warning prompt suggests b/c you wouldn't be able to tell your properties apart anymore.  (There isn't a column in the table identifying each property by name.)

I think the reason Tableau believes these are all from the same data source is that they are from the same Google Analytics Account.  I am guessing that most people would not want to join data from the same GA Account... it would probably only make sense to join the data if they were from the same GA Profile. i.e. the most granular level in the account heirarchy (Account > Property > Profile).  At the Profile level, you would indeed be pulling data from the same source, so it would potentially make sense to Join different tables you've extracted.

Oh, and here's my successful Visits trend -- using the Visits metrics from the three separate data sources. 

2013-04-30_17-40-17.jpg

• 2. Re: Should I Join data from different Google Analytics properties?
            Steve Berg

Same problem here,
            what did you do that it worked?
            Blending does not work because of the same data source for primary and secondary data source?

Best Regards!