Create a copy of ID (right click the dimension in the list on the left, duplicate), drag this before all of the pills on Rows, then right click it, uncheck show headers.
I only have dimensions in my rows and no measures. It doesn't seem to work.
I think I just realized what I what missing. I was creating a duplicate of only the fields that needed to be repeated, not all my dimensions. I've duplicated all my dimensions and it seems to work. A lot of work for such a simple step.
In my Rows bar at the top, is there a way I can hide the dimensions' copies? Otherwise, it gets confusing to read.
If ID is the dimension that provides the row by row detail you need, that's the only one you need. There may be sorting that you need to do to make sure everything stays in the right order - alternatively this is what Tracy has done with the copies of the other dimensions.
Does this work in Tableau 8? I tried it, both with my twb as well as with dimension members on every row.twbx.zip
that Tracy supplied, couldn't get it to work.
Paul: If you can post your workbook here, someone will take a look. Cheers!
In Tableau Desktop 8.0 and later versions
- Open Tableau Desktop and connect to Superstore sample data.
- Drag Department and then Category from Dimensions to Rows.
- Double-click Sales in Measures.
- Ctrl-click Department and Category in Dimensions, right-click the highlighted fields, and then select Combine Fields.
- Drag the combined Department & Category field to the far left on Rows.
- Right-click Department & Category on Rows, and then clear Show Header.
Make sure you duplicate the column/field with the least grain, in your view to have the values repeated for each row.