3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2013 2:42 PM by Son Stegmaier

How to represent this data as a table

sandy.bodzin

I have a system log that monitors system metrics (CPU utilization, I/O utilization, etc) every 5 minutes. The log file looks like this:

DateTime%CPU%IO
      2012-12-01 00:00:004.2211.22
      2012-12-01 00:05:001.2310.33
      2012-12-01 00:10:003.4512.44
      2012-12-01 00:15:001.5611.55
      2012-12-01 00:20:002.6710.66
      2012-12-01 00:25:001.78

I have 2002 rows of data and I'd like a table that sorts those 2002 values by%IO. Note that a time hierarchy is not meaningful here. All the time periods are in the same year, quarter, and month (though they do span multiple dates).

So what I did was this: Put my DateTime dimension on the row and selected "ExactDate" so as not to be presented with a drill down. I put measureson the column and filtered on %IO.

Trouble is Tableau automatically changes the display type to a chart. Whenever I specify that I want a table output format the DateTime dimension is automatically reset to the Year level for DateTime.

Is there a way I can overcome this problem?

I tried to overcome this by using the DateTime dimension hierarchy and putting Day, Hour, and Minute aggregates on the rows. But then my sort on %IO is not sorted across the whole data set, rather it is done within each Day.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

• 1. Re: How to represent this data as a table
          Son Stegmaier

Hi Sandy,

Welcome to the community!  I was able to visualize your table by making the datetime field as a discrete dimension.  Let me know if the attached workbook works for you.

Data as Table.PNG

• 2. Re: How to represent this data as a table
            sandy.bodzin

Thanks very much for the response. This is what I was looking for. What is the distinction between the "discrete dimension" functionality you suggested and the default behavior I was experiencing?

- Sandy

• 3. Re: How to represent this data as a table
              Son Stegmaier

http://kb.tableausoftware.com/articles/knowledgebase/understanding-data-types-and-roles

Discrete and Continuous Fields

Fields are also either continuous or discrete, and this is indicated in Tableau by color. Green indicates a continuous field; blue indicates a discrete field. Colors appear on the icons next to fields in the Data window, or on the pills that represent fields that are used in the view.

Most often, dimensions are discrete fields, and measures are continuous. Therefore, when you drag a discrete field to a view, it adds category headings. A continuous field adds a scale. This distinction exists in Tableau so that you can convert dimensions to continuous fields or measures to discrete. For example, the views below both show profit as a function of order amount. In the view on the left the order amount is shown as discrete headers, one for each value. On the right, you can see that order amount is shown along a continuous axis.

To convert a discrete field to continuous, complete the following task.

1. In the Dimensions pane, right click the field and convert a its data type to Number.
              2. Right-click it again and select Convert to Continuous.