Dear Tableau friends;
Find a few questions my team and I have been struggling with for 2 weeks. Maybe some of you faced similar issues and could give us some hints.
When trivial in Excell/Access, we are banging our heads to solve it within Tableau... OK we are not yet experts, reason why we are looking for your support. Appreciated.
Based on Super Store Sales example; we are struggling to perform a couple of queries
- Identify and Classify Products transactions by bin-size - what we call "sales $ bands".
- Classify products with a sales of 0-2500$; 2501-5000$, 5001-10000$,...
- In a particular Year, Quarter or Month
- For a particular time period (over multiple month / quarter / years
- => seems ok with the creation of a calculated field: (bookings band - simple) see tab 1&2 in example attached
- Use this "Sales $ bands" concept at aggregated level => by customer; by category or sub category, by region
- => Seems working by the creation of a calculated field (booking bands - sum) see tab 3 of example
- Counting and Classifying # of customers by Sales $ Band: that is where the struggle begin
- Instead of seeing 2 transactions in a particular Sales$ Band we would see the total for that customer and then apply the bin formula.
- Then we want to count the number of customers in each sales$band
- =>Seems the (Booking bands - sum) cannot be used as a Dimension but only as a measure (as aggregated)
- =>Seems the Count Distinct function is not showing. that could have help in 4th tab to differentiate by transaction or customer level
- =>We have been trying to link the Sales measure with the customer dimension but without success
- Finally, we would like to apply similar concept but looking at Frequency Bands: classifying customers by # of transactions they have done in a particular period of time : 0-2; 3-5; 5-10; >10 and use that as another dimension to analyse our customer base.
We received the hint that the solutions should exist by applying advanced table calculations to the dataset. But we are not skilled enough to do that by ourselves. We are about to hire an expert but it gonna take another few weeks. In the meanwhile; we would be very keen to get some feedback from the community.