2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2013 10:06 AM by Norma Rodriguez

Custom SQL in Salesforce connection

Norma Rodriguez

I want to use the direct connection to Salesforce provided in the new release. However I noticed that I'm not able to create custom SQL queries within the Salesforce connection.

I would like to know if I can join two objects in Salesforce using a condition different than primary and foreign key relationship.

For example:

Month > subscription_start_date and Month <= subscription_end_date

Where Month is a field in a different object than the object that contains subscription_start_date and subscription_end_date. And both objects don't have a primary - foreign key relationship.

I really appreciate any help you can give me.

Norma

• 1. Re: Custom SQL in Salesforce connection
          Tracy Rodgers

Hi Norma,

Custom SQL cannot be used when connecting to Salesforce. All objects will be downloaded in their entirety. They can be incrementally updated however, and a calculated field to get this data to appear can be created after the data has been imported into Tableau.

Hope this helps!

-Tracy

• 2. Re: Custom SQL in Salesforce connection
            Norma Rodriguez

Hi Tracy

Thank you very much for your answer.

What I am trying to accomplish is described in a previous topic: http://community.tableau.com/thread/124437, The solution suggested works perfectly with a SQL server connection using a custom SQL.

I want to do the same using a Salesforce connection instead, however in the Salesforce connection, I can not join two objects using a different condition than primary - foreign relationship, for example: Month > subscription_start_date and Month <= subscription_end_date

Is there any alternative solution to accomplish this? Thank you for your help.

Norma