2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2014 1:58 PM by Rick L

No option to schedule refresh for file using published extract

Chris Moseley

I have two Tableau files that use the same published .xls extract.  With one of them I was able to schedule a regular refresh.  However, when I went to schedule the second file, the button for "Scheuduling and Authentication" (under Server >> Publish Workbook) only says "Authentication."   I also tried this in server but the buton for Scheduled Tasks is disabled when I select the file.

Clearly there must be some setting I have incorrect in the second file but I am at a loss as to what it might be.

Any thoughts / help much appreciated? 

- Chris

• 1. Re: No option to schedule refresh for file using published extract
          Paramesh Sangangiri

Hi Chris,

I tried to reporduce the same and even scheduling option is not available for 2nd view on the extract. It appears to me that since data is refreshed whenever scheduling is performed irrespective of on what view it is performed the option might have been grayed out for 2nd view. As after scheduling the data at server is refreshed and even the same is reflected in your both views.

Regards,

Paramesh

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: No option to schedule refresh for file using published extract
            Rick L

Replying here because I just ran into the same issue and I want the answer preserved for everyone:

If you only see "Authentication" instead of "Scheduling & Authentication" when you try to publish a workbook, it's because when you created your data connections, you chose to connect Live instead of extracting data. The concept of scheduling only applies to data extracts, not to live connections, because a live connection by its nature updates every time a user looks at it.

To change a live connection to an extract, in Tableau Desktop click on Data --> [extract name] --> Extract Data...

Then after you click the Extract button, your data source will be changed from Live to Extract, and the button in the publish dialog will now say "Scheduling & Authentication".

1 of 1 people found this helpful