10 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2013 12:45 PM by Russell Christopher

Error when using OLAP Hierarchy

Vladimir Patsionov

Hi everyone! We are using Tableau with OLAP Cubes as Data Source in our company. We've made a lot of dashboards in 7.0 version with parent-child hierarchy in dimensions and all worked fine. Now we published our dashboards on 8.0 Tableau server and when I try to choose something from parent-child hierarchy , error apperas Error.bmpas on a picture. Does anyone know what it could be? Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Error when using OLAP Hierarchy
          Russell Christopher

Hey Vladimir -

I just tried this using the Employees Parent-Child hierarchy inside AdventureWorks's Employee dimension...no problems.

I am able to collapse / expand levels in the hierarchy and I am able to use it as a Quick Filter, selecting values from any level in the hierarchy.

I'm hitting a SQL 2012 SP1 box.

Can you post more specific repro steps? Can you try to repro using the sample?

• 2. Re: Error when using OLAP Hierarchy
            Vladimir Patsionov

Thanks Russell. I get this error when i choose one of values in herarchy. And I also have noticed that when I choose higher level of hierarchy everythig works fine. I also looket at Event Viewer Log at the moment when I am choosing something in a filter and that's what I see there :

The description for Event ID 4096 from source Tableau Server (Vizqlserver) cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

2013-03-28 17:41:48.968 +0400 catalina-exec-3 Default luxoft.com\vpatsionov ERROR

requestId=UVRInKweMn0AAAqAA40AAADF: wgsessionId=1b520db1d7fed4b772f96ac9e9c82134

1. com.tableausoftware.controller.vizql.ExceptionController - WrappedTableauException

caught for vizql session: 3594C161E55D455BBB0031E49EFFE157-0:0

1. com.tableausoftware.model.vizql.WrappedTableauException: Invalid input: expected '['         

at com.tableausoftware.model.vizql.util.ErrorMapper.runAndCatchErrors(ErrorMapper.java:114)       

at com.tableausoftware.model.vizql.util.WithSessionAspect.acquireAndReleaseSession

(WithSessionAspect.java:136)               

at com.tableausoftware.model.vizql.service.command.CommandServiceImpl.executeCommand

(CommandServiceImpl.java:81)             at com.tableausoftware.controller.vizql.CommandController.execute

(CommandController.java:54)                at com.tableausoftware.vqlweb.RequestMapper.executeCommand

(RequestMapper.java:1262)   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)      

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)           

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)          

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:601)               

at org.springframework.web.method.support.InvocableHandlerMethod.invoke(InvocableHandlerMethod.java:213) at org.springframework.web.method.support.InvocableHandlerMethod.invokeForRequest(InvocableHandlerMethod.java:126)            at org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.method.annotation.ServletInvocableHandlerMethod.invokeAndHandle(ServletInvocableHandlerMethod.java:96)            at org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.method.annotation.RequestMappingHandlerAdapter.invokeHandlerMethod(RequestMappingHandlerAdapter.java:617)            at org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.method.annotation.RequestMappingHandlerAdapter.handleInternal(RequestMappingHandlerAdapter.java:578)            at org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.method.AbstractHandlerMethodAdapter.handle(AbstractHandlerMethodAdapter.java:80)            at org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doDispatch(DispatcherServlet.java:923)                at org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doService(DispatcherServlet.java:852)    at org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.processRequest(FrameworkServlet.java:882)    at org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.doPost

(FrameworkServlet.java:789) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:641) 

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:722)              at

1. org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:305)         

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)    

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.invoke(ApplicationDispatcher.java:684)      

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.processRequest(ApplicationDispatcher.java:471)   

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.doForward(ApplicationDispatcher.java:402)              

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.forward(ApplicationDispatcher.java:329)    

at org.tuckey.web.filters.urlrewrite.NormalRewrittenUrl.doRewrite(NormalRewrittenUrl.java:195)    

at org.tuckey.web.filters.urlrewrite.RuleChain.handleRewrite(RuleChain.java:159)     

at org.tuckey.web.filters.urlrewrite.RuleChain.doRules(RuleChain.java:141)   

at org.tuckey.web.filters.urlrewrite.UrlRewriter.processRequest(UrlRewriter.java:90)              

at org.tuckey.web.filters.urlrewrite.UrlRewriteFilter.doFilter(UrlRewriteFilter.java:417)           

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:243)    

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)    

at com.tableausoftware.controller.vizql.servlet.CrossSiteScriptingFilter.doFilter

(CrossSiteScriptingFilter.java:50)           at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter

(ApplicationFilterChain.java:243)           at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter

(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)          

at org.springframework.web.filter.CharacterEncodingFilter.doFilterInternal(CharacterEncodingFilter.java:88)

at org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter.doFilter(OncePerRequestFilter.java:76)          

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:243)    

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:225)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:169)   

at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:472)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:168) 

at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:98)       

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:118)        

at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:407)    

at org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Processor.process(AbstractHttp11Processor.java:999)     

at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:565)          

at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(AprEndpoint.java:1812)       

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1145)           

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:615)           

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)Caused by: com.tableausoftware.nativeapi.dll.TableauException:

Invalid input: expected '['         at com.tableausoftware.nativeapi.dll.TableauException.getTableauException

(TableauException.java:39)    

at com.tableausoftware.nativeapi.dll.NativeApiJNI.VQLSessionPtr_ExecuteCommand(Native Method)            

at com.tableausoftware.nativeapi.dll.VQLSessionPtr.ExecuteCommand(VQLSessionPtr.java:1007)      

at com.tableausoftware.model.vizql.service.command.CommandServiceImpl.executeCommand_aroundBody0

(CommandServiceImpl.java:101)         

at com.tableausoftware.model.vizql.service.command.CommandServiceImpl$AjcClosure1.run

(CommandServiceImpl.java:1)               at org.aspectj.runtime.reflect.JoinPointImpl.proceed(JoinPointImpl.java:149)

at com.tableausoftware.model.vizql.util.ErrorMapper.runAndCatchErrors(ErrorMapper.java:67)             

... 53 more

The description for Event ID 4096 from source Tableau Server (Vizqlserver) cannot be found.

Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation

is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

2013-03-28 17:41:48.968 +0400 catalina-exec-3 Default luxoft.com\vpatsionov

ERROR requestId=UVRInKweMn0AAAqAA40AAADF: wgsessionId=1b520db1d7fed4b772f96ac9e9c82134

1. com.tableausoftware.controller.vizql.ExceptionController - Exception details: Invalid input: expected '['
            • 3. Re: Error when using OLAP Hierarchy
              Vladimir Patsionov

By the way - we use SQL Server 2008 R2. But I consider it must not to be a problem.

• 4. Re: Error when using OLAP Hierarchy
                Russell Christopher

Sorry, got rid of 2008 long ago

Can you be more explicit about how you are "selecting" something? Are you drilling down into the levels of a P-C hierarchy in the viz and then trying to "View Data" on a measure associated with a dimension member?

• 6. Re: Error when using OLAP Hierarchy
                  Russell Christopher

Thanks!

My sample was a little bit different in that I was showing the dimension values (employees) with SUM(Measure) and my filter was multi-select instead of single-select.

I made another worksheet that only shows the sum of the measure and changed the quick filter to single-select. It still works fine for me.

My Parent-Child only has 4 levels, you have 7. Wonder if that has something to do with it. At this point I'd suggest two things:

• See if you can repro using the AdventureWorks cube.
                  • Open up a support case.
                  • 7. Re: Error when using OLAP Hierarchy
                    todd.mcdermid

Any resolution to this issue?  I'm running into the same problem with using a filter on a hierarchy delivered in a SSAS 2008R2 cube.  I installed the updated Tableau Server 8.0.1, but that didn't resolve the issue.

• 8. Re: Error when using OLAP Hierarchy
                      Russell Christopher

Hey Todd -

This was a bug and has been fixed, but the fix just missed 8.0.1. I'd guess you should see it in 8.0.2 (no promises as I'm not in dev )

• 9. Re: Error when using OLAP Hierarchy
                        todd.mcdermid

Thanks for the reply.

This is a real problem for us, so any help on one of the following would be greatly appreciated:

1. A "hotfix", beta build of > 8.0.1, or very rough timing on when 8.0.2 is expected.

2. A suggested workaround for the issue.

If you wish to contact me directly, rather than in the forums, that's fine too.  Thanks!

• 10. Re: Error when using OLAP Hierarchy
                          Russell Christopher

Hey Todd -

I think you'll need to open a support case on that one - very sorry!