2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2013 2:38 PM by Robert Sinclair

Tableau 8 and Chrome - Flashing Visuals

Robert Sinclair

I'm running into an issue when pulling up a version 8 visual in chrome, where the visual flashes continuously.  Since I am unable to find any info about other users experiencing the same issue on the website , I suspect it may be something regarding my settings.  Please check out the brief video and let me know if you have any suggestions.

http://www.screencast.com/t/gx8Ogwwi0f

Thanks

Robert

• 1. Re: Tableau 8 and Chrome - Flashing Visuals
          Russell Christopher

Wow! Very interesting! (But sorry you ran into this)

The first viz is re-rending continuously. Questions:

• Is the dashboard itself set to "Automatic" sizing or do you have it set to a specific height/width?
          • What happens if you CHANGE the size setting? Maybe lower / increase it a touch and re-publish?
          • What happens if you resize the Chrome window itself?
          • I see you're embedding. How? An IFRAME? JavaScript?
          • I see you have buttons and other UI in the web page - do they interact with the viz at all? How?
          • Please view this sucker inside the Tableau Server portal vs. "your" web page. Does it endlessly-refresh there?
          • From inside the Tableau Portal viewer, please take a "Share" link and paste it into a new HTML page. Does the viz page exhibit the same behavior running inside the "new" HTML page?

• 2. Re: Tableau 8 and Chrome - Flashing Visuals
            Robert Sinclair

Russel-

Thanks for the tips.

The sizing was set to automatic. I started here.  As suggested I adjusted the dashboard down in size and re-published and the problem went away.  I then went back in and changed it back to automatic and re-published again.  This time it worked fine without the flashing. This is not something I had to fiddle with in Firefox; just Chrome.  Hopefully, this was a one-time thing and not a process i have to repeat with each publish of a visual. 

As for your other question, we use an iFrame.

Best,

rs