4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2018 7:58 PM by minc650

Highlighting Ranked Values Across Worksheets

Jonathan Drummey

[This is a continuation of a discussion started on this Idea: http://community.tableau.com/ideas/1071, since we can't add attachments to Ideas.]

Hi Phillip Marsh,

See the attached for a couple of different techniques. If you wanted a single list with multiple values, then you can have separate table calculations for each rank (each with their own compute using), then use a nested calc that would evaluate to true or another value if the values are in the top N. I just re-used those calcs for a separate worksheet solution.

If you wanted to highlight the background of the ranking, then you could use a highlight table, if you want to highlight the entire row then you'd need to use multiple worksheets or a multiple axis crosstab.

Jonathan

• 1. Re: Highlighting Ranked Values Across Worksheets
          Phillip Marsh

Thanks Jonathan.

Wow at first glance this looks exactly like what I have been trying to do!  I will have a look and the formulas and see if I can replicate in my work

• 2. Re: Highlighting Ranked Values Across Worksheets
            Phillip Marsh

Jonathan,

This worked really well, ideally I would prefer if the whole row would highlight.

I made tweaks and decided it was better using tabs for each because the colour uses 2 different measures which could not be combined:

• 2 sheets for Corporate Exposures:
              • 1 by Ranked by CDS risk descending order
              • 1 by Ranked by Corporate exposure descending order
            • 2 sheets for Investment Exposures:
              • 1 by Ranked by CDS risk descending order
              • 1 by Ranked by Corporate exposure descending order

Because the colour calculation measures use different advanced field measues I created one for the Exposure using the colour with the advanced field using the CDS value and for the CDS colour I used the Exposure value.

I got what I needed an excellent work around, thank you!

Best

Phillip

• 3. Re: Highlighting Ranked Values Across Worksheets
              paul.murphy.2

Hi Philip,

I was under the impression that you were also interested in highlighting names.  So, in Jonathan’s example, you would want the “Product” colored blue or orange too.

Anyway, I’m searching for a way to highlight certain customer names in a sales dashboard.  Please let me know if you have any thoughts on this.

Respectfully,

Paul M

• 4. Re: Highlighting Ranked Values Across Worksheets
                minc650

Hello Jonathan,

I have a question here: how can we color discrete measure like color negative number in red color in accounting report? At present I'm doing PL report in Tableau. For some report appearance reason, I have to use discrete measures on rows, but in this way I can't color the negative number in discrete measures in red color. I paste a excel sample here and attach my workbook also. Could you provide some suggestion? Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks. total-b.png