5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2013 8:28 AM by Dan Huff

Help: Likert Data and Net Stacked Distribution

Phil Ventura

I am displaying Likert data using Net Stacked Distribution as described http://www.datarevelations.com/likert-scales-the-final-word.html.  You can see my results http://public.tableausoftware.com/views/Evals_0/CrossTab and http://public.tableausoftware.com/views/Evals_0/Dashboard1.  What I want is to show the percentage for each group of responses, so for instance for the first question, where the percentages are 0.83%, 5.83%, 47.50% and 45.83%, I want to be able to display those percentages in the net stacked distribution.  I was thinking of a percentage scale along the X axis at the bottom and possibly having each of the percentages shown in the bars. 

I have been unable to figure out how to get these displayed.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Help: Likert Data and Net Stacked Distribution
          Dan Huff

Phil--

Attached is a solution that gets the numbers as you want them. The catch here is that you just needed to change all of the compute usings on the table calculations. To get the desired results, all of your table calculations should have an Advanced compute using with Question on the top and Answer on the bottom. Also, you need to set them all to restart every question. If you hover over the marks, you will see the percentages in the tooltips.

You could also add this percentage to the label shelf so that you can display the labels. You will have to click the label dropdown and check the box allow labels to overlap to display them all. From there you can adjust the font size so as to minimize the overlap.

Hope this helps,

Dan

• 2. Re: Help: Likert Data and Net Stacked Distribution
            Phil Ventura

I followed what you said, however, the percentages do not seem to be computed properly.  Comparing the displayed percentages in the graph with those in the crosstabs shows odd discrepancies.  For instance, the crosstab properly computes the percentages for the first question as: .83%, 5.83%, 47.5% and 45.83%, however the graph shows percentages for the same question of 0.48%, 0.84%, 4.54%, and 8.48%.

• 3. Re: Help: Likert Data and Net Stacked Distribution
              Dan Huff

The comments I made specifically refer to the graph as the percentages in the crosstab were correct. It is likely that it works in one but not the other due to the how we see the structure of the results differently in the two visualizations. If you look at my attached example, you should see that the numbers in the crosstab and graph match.

Does this clear up what I posted?

Dan

• 4. Re: Help: Likert Data and Net Stacked Distribution
                Phil Ventura

Unfortunately every time I try to open the file you posted in Tableau Public says "A newer version of this workbook is available," and seems to open the data from the web instead of showing yours.

• 5. Re: Help: Likert Data and Net Stacked Distribution
                  Dan Huff

http://public.tableausoftware.com/views/Evals_1/Dashboard1

Phil are your able to go to that link and download the workbook?

All I did was this:

Right click on the Gantt Percent field on Sheet 2 and click Edit Table Calculation

***Notice the drop down at the top of the dialog. This allows you to set the compute using for all of the table calculations that are needed to compute this field's results

For each one of these calculations, I hit the Compute Using dropdown, hit Advanced, and added Question and Answer to the Compute Using (Question above Answer)

After clicking OK, I set the Restarting Every Option to Question

Just rinse and repeat this process for all the calculations that show up in that dropdown to get the results you want mate.

Hope this helps,

Dan

P.S. Sorry for the delay.