6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2014 1:56 PM by Amy Cronin

How do I create a date selection field in a dashboard that applies to all the charts, while each chart has a different date field?

Willem Dirven

Hi,

I currently have a sales/deals/shipments dashboard with 4 charts based on 4 different datasets. Updating all charts when I select a partner or country works fine. But what I really need is to be able to select a date (or period - e.g. transactions that happened last week or month) that applies to all the charts.

The 4 charts are based of 4 different datasets, yet all have some sort of date field. The date format is different though between datasets. Some are just a MM/DD/YYYY, others also include hour:minute:seconds, etc. Running each of the 4 charts by date / period in a regular sheet / screen is not a problem, I just have not been able to define 1 date field at the dashboard level (or more e.g. a year field, Qtr field) that would apply to all the charts instantaneously.

One suggestion I received was the following but i have not been able to get this to work:

If multiple datasources, you'll have to get a bit tricky. Instead of filtering directly on a date, set up a parameter with the date ranges your interesting in (last week, last month, last quarter, etc). Then use this parameter to create a date filter in each of the data sources. Then use the parameter control on the dashboard to adjust the dates in all the views.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Willem

(Using Tableau 7.0)