9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2015 12:00 PM by Evan McLain

"Browse Periods" loses date anchors

Andy Piper

Using the Superstore Sales dataset that ships with Tableau, I'd like to create a simple chart that shows me Category, Sub-Category and the profit on the last day, the last week, the last month, the last quarter, the last year, and 5 years. It just so happens that the Quick Filter view called "Browse Periods" gives me this ability if I ensure the date used is continuous.

Easy enough, right? I place Category and Sub-Category in my rows, add Profit to the Text shelf, and place Order Date on the filters shelf. I specify "Relative Date" so as to use the exact date and have continuous dates (as needed by Browse Periods - according to on-line help). The Superstore Sales dataset has orders from 2009 - 2012 with the last order being placed on 12/30/2012. I set an anchor date relative to 12/30/2012 12:00:00AM since 12/30 is the last day of the order set and ensure that "Anchor day" is selected.

Doing this shows the profits obtained on 12/30/2012 for each category and sub-category. I choose to show the quick filter for Order Date - notice the "Anchor day" option. Clicking on "Anchor day" allows me to choose other items to select other filter option. If I click on the drop down option within the Order Date quick filter, there's an option for "Browse Periods". Perfect. I now see options for 1d, 1w, 1m, 3m, 1y and 5y. I can just click on one of these options, say 1m and get the sum of profit for the anchored month's data. Right?

Wrong. Once you select one of the "Browse Period" options, click on 1m to show 1 month's worth of data. Notice that the screen goes blank. If I choose 3 months or more, some data is returned, but nothing that adheres to my anchor date of 12/30/2012. I may decide to change back to "Relative Date" from "Browse Periods" so as to get back to where I started from. Right?

Wrong. No longer do have an option for an anchor date. You cannot even type one in anyplace. If you revisit the Order Date filter, you'll see that the anchor information has been cleared.

This occurs in version 7 & the latest v8 beta. Should the Browse Periods functionality remove anchor information?