12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2013 8:06 AM by Kevin Andrist

Parameter controlled dashboard view not filling container

Kevin Andrist

I've been using the technique of a parameter control to user-select views seen in dashboards.

For reference see:

http://interworks.co.uk/business-intelligence/select-a-chart/

and

http://www.alansmitheepresents.org/2011/03/changing-viz-types-with-dashboard.html

I often will set up a dashboard with two maps, or a map & a crosstab, that can be selected via a parameter and include an "All" option to see both (for example a map & a crosstab) views at once.

Note in the above examples that as each view is selected it fills the entire container, leaving no empty space. Until recently, mine worked just as you see in these examples.  However, now my parameter selected views no longer fill the vertical container.  When I select a view the other view just disappears & the selected view shows, but it stays the same size & doesn't expand to fill the container.

Note on the Alan Smitee blog, if you scroll down to comments you see a question posted that describes exactly what I'm seeing now.  "Sam Bruce" replys with a solution, but it isn't fixing my issue.

I was using V7.07, I'm now on V8 (8000.13), the issue remains unchanged. The pptx attached shows what I see using the downloaded Interworks  & Smithee examples, running under V8 (8000.13).  

I haven't turned on "Fixed Height" nor "Edited Height"

How can I get each parameter-selected view to fill the vertical container again?

EDIT:  I've added both workbooks indicated above.

• 1. Re: Parameter controlled dashboard view not filling container
          Russell Christopher

At some point, you probably adjusted the size of the container which you're trying to show and hide. Adjusting the size will cause the container to stay that size "no matter what".

Try this with a copy of the workbook:

• "Hide the viz" with your parameter
          • Delete it from the dashboard
          • Add it back in.
          • 2. Re: Parameter controlled dashboard view not filling container
            Kevin Andrist

On my own workbooks, I've deleted the dashboard where it isn't working right & re-assembled a new dashboard using the same worksheets & parameter, still doesn't work right.   Using the same elements(worksheets, parameter..etc)  in the past, everything worked fine. For some reason about a month back I noticed the 'filling the container' after a parameter select just stopped working.  I was hoping it might return with V8, but no joy(though V8 does look very nice so far).

Not sure what you mean by {"Hide the viz" with your parameter}

• 3. Re: Parameter controlled dashboard view not filling container
              Andrew Ball

Hi Kevin,

This feature is definitely still working.

Steps I'd use to check:

1. Select one of the maps, then select "Layout Container" from the dropdown at top right of worksheet.
              2. Check that the container is around both worksheets, and that there is a dotted line between them (shows they are in a layout container) - example shown below post
              3. Do steps 1 & 2 again starting from the other worksheet. Sometimes you can nest containers without realising.
              4. If all is ok, then select each one in turn and check if they have fixed height or width set.
              5. If you are using a horizontal container, make sure you hide the titles

That should do it. If it still isn't working, can you put up an example with dummy/non confidential data?

Thanks,

Andrew

container.png

• 4. Re: Parameter controlled dashboard view not filling container
                Kevin Andrist

Thanks for the response Andrew.

I checked each step:

• Select one of the maps, then select "Layout Container" from the dropdown at top right of worksheet.

• Check that the container is around both worksheets, and that there is a dotted line between them (shows they are in a layout container) - example shown below post
                • Do steps 1 & 2 again starting from the other worksheet. Sometimes you can nest containers without realizing.

I did the three steps above on my dashboard that isn't working as well as on Smithee's "vizselect" workbook attached.  Everything looks as it should.  There is one vertical container with two worksheets inside(nothing else..no filters, text..just the two maps), separated by a dotted line.  The Smithee workbook has more than two worksheets.  It appears the MAP worksheet in Smithee's example isn't collapsing, regardless of any other worksheet I select..if that's of any help.

• If all is ok, then select each one in turn and check if they have fixed height or width set.

Fixed height is not selected in my or the Smithee example.

• If you are using a horizontal container, make sure you hide the titles

I'm using vertical containers, but the titles are hidden.

It's still doesn't work...no change.

Is the Smithee workbook attached functioning correctly for you?  It's failing the same as my workbook.  Perhaps we can use that as the dummy example?

• 5. Re: Parameter controlled dashboard view not filling container
                  Andrew Ball

Hi Kevin,

Unfortunately for trying to help you, the Smithee workbook is functioning correctly for me. As I can't replicate the problem, the advice ends up going back to a baseline IT response:

• Restart program
                  • If not, then Reboot Computer
                  • If not, then Reinstall Program

Apologies for not being able to help more

Andrew

• 6. Re: Parameter controlled dashboard view not filling container
                    Kevin Andrist

Sort of thought that might happen..and your right that is the stock IT answer ..that often works.

• Restart program
                    • If not, then Reboot Computer

This issue has gone on for over a month(lots of restarts & reboots) & I was hoping that V8 would make it go away. I installed V8 this morning (which addresses the next bullet) and the issue continues. 

• If not, then Reinstall Program

I didn't uninstall V7 as I wanted to be sure V8 wasn't going to bite me on the transition (no lack of confidence in Tableau..just being safe).  I'm happy to say I've been banging around in V8 all day looking at a dozen+ past workbooks, containing all kinds of complex sheets/dashboards looking at reasonably large data(100MB), and I didn't see anything that raises a concern.   I suppose I'll uninstall v7 and see if anything changes..if not, I'll try to dummy-down a home-grown example and post it.

thanks for your help..

• 7. Re: Parameter controlled dashboard view not filling container
                      Kevin Andrist

Well..

I uninstalled:

• Tableau v7
                      • Tableau V8
                      • Tableau Public V7
                      • Tableau Reader V7
                      • Tableau Reader V8

I then rebooted.

Then I installed:

• Tableau V8
                      • Tableau Reader V8
                      • Tableau Public V7

Tried the parameter-select views on the Smithee example..no joy.

Tried the Interworks example..no joy.

I tried several of my dashboards..no joy.

This is a nuisance, but it's not causing too much pain at the moment.  I'm headed down to Chicago for one of the roadshows next week.  I'm sure I can ask someone down there to look at this and see if I'm missing something..seems easy & I did use it often for a while, and it worked fine.  ..appreciate your help..

• 8. Re: Parameter controlled dashboard view not filling container
                        Tracy Rodgers

Thanks all for bringing this to our attention! Our engineering team is working to make the fix in an upcoming release.

• 9. Re: Parameter controlled dashboard view not filling container
                          Dale Wunderlich

I've noticed that auto-filling containers work with all sheet types (that I've tested) except for maps with any type of background map (online, offline, wms). It will work with a map view and background image, therefore in theory I can create point maps with some success but filled maps are pretty hashed.

Can we expect that the background map issues will get resolved or should we be planning around it?

using background image

http://public.tableausoftware.com/static/images/Fo/FogPotential_noBackgoundMap/FOGPotential/1.png

similar dashboard using background map

http://public.tableausoftware.com/static/images/Fo/FogPotential_noBackgoundMap/RetiringCRPAcreage/1.png

• 10. Re: Parameter controlled dashboard view not filling container
                            Tracy Rodgers

Hi Dale,

The map issue will be fixed in an upcoming release.

-Tracy

• 11. Re: Parameter controlled dashboard view not filling container
                              Harley Ellenberger

I'm not sure if your issue was the same as mine, but it sounds like we had a similar problem.  I just wanted to share my fix in case you didn't find a solution yet...

Tree Map swap on dashboard using parameter control - how to fix

• 12. Re: Parameter controlled dashboard view not filling container
                                Kevin Andrist

Thanks Harley.

As Tracy mentioned..they did fix the initial problem with a release in the last few months.  Your workaround is slick though and may be useful in the future..thanks..