11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2013 12:47 PM by sean.dawson

How do I overlay multiple marks on a single table?

sean.dawson

I have a fairly simple dashboard with Red/Yellow/Green squares as the measures of risk.  The columns are the risk types and the rows are different departments in an organization.  I would like to overlay marks to show a future trend (i.e. up or down arrow) over top of the colored squares.  I'd also like to overlay the previous month rating as a small triangle in the corner of the colored square.  I'm a new Tableau user and can't finure out how to overlay the marks.  Here's an image of a simplified example.  Please let me know if what I'm trying to do is possible.  Thanks!

sample.JPG

• 1. Re: How do I overlay multiple marks on a single table?
          Dan Huff

Sean--

Is there any possibility that you would be able to add a twbx (packaged workbook) to this thread. I think that there is a chance that some bit of what you want to do is possible. There may also be a better way to do it but I am happy to take a look at it and see if I can't create it in at least one form.

Thanks,

Dan

• 2. Re: How do I overlay multiple marks on a single table?
            sean.dawson

I've uploaded the simplified sample file.  Thanks Dan!

• 3. Re: How do I overlay multiple marks on a single table?
              Dan Huff

Sean--

I have attached a workbook that has two possible ways to show this information. The overlapping is a bit trickier to understand what is going on. Because we have to use Measure Names and Measure Values (this lets us get both the previous and current indicators in the view), we cannot have unique color palettes for both the Current and Previous fields.

Hope this helps,

Dan

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How do I overlay multiple marks on a single table?
                Andrew Ball

Hi Sean,

Following on from Dan, I've attached a file with the future trend on top of the current, shown as an arrow for up or down and a square for no change.

As to adding the previous one on as well...perhaps. Though at this point in my thoughts it would be way more effort than it is worth. Alternatively, you could do something like have the current in the middle, with the previous and future on either side - however, I think that will need some altering of the source data.

Let me know if that helps, or if you have any questions,

Andrew

• 5. Re: How do I overlay multiple marks on a single table?
                  sean.dawson

Thanks Dan/Andrew.  Both of you have been very helpful.  I still don't think either solution completely solves my issue for overlaying 3 different marks.  But I did come up with an alternative idea that should work.  I can create 27 icons (3 colors x 3 colors x 3 arrows).  Then use a formula and assign a unique icon to each type.  I was hoping there was a simplier, more elegant way to do this, but I guess not.  Unfortunately the corporate standards aren't very flexible for the look/feel of these scorecards.

• 6. Re: How do I overlay multiple marks on a single table?
                    Andrew Ball

Hi Sean,

thanks for letting us know. Are you able to give us an image of exactly what you are looking for? It may well be that using custom shapes is the best solution for getting exactly what you want, especially for future maintenance, but I personally would like to know what we were aiming for!

Corporate standards can indeed be difficult, and I've found that frequently Tableau can't actually do them without a LOT of work. Normally though, that's because there is a much simpler and, more often than not, clearer way to display the information in Tableau. Shame we can't just rewrite the standards in those cases!

Andrew

• 7. Re: How do I overlay multiple marks on a single table?
                      sean.dawson

Hi Andrew,

Here's a sample image of how they look (ugly I know in Excel).  Agree with you on the points about corporate standards!

sample image.JPG

The arrows could also appear over one of the boxes with a "split color".  Just realize my snip didn't cover that type.

Main color represents current score, bottom right triangle color indicates a previous period score, and arrow indicates a future anticipated score getting better (or worse).

Thanks,
                      Sean

• 8. Re: How do I overlay multiple marks on a single table?
                        Andrew Ball

Hi Sean,

Thanks for the question again. One of those ones that I didn't want to let go.

There are always a multitude of ways to skin a viz, but I think I've found a way that you should be happy with!

The colours are not quite right, but as Dan mentioned, currently we have to use Measure Names and Values. If you want brighter colours, we'll have to reshape your data a bit. I've attached the workbook, but below is the screenshot of the completed thing

Complete screenshot.png

Not the way I'd represent the data myself, but then again, that wasn't the challenge here!

Andrew

• 9. Re: How do I overlay multiple marks on a single table?
                          sean.dawson

Thanks Andrew!  I spent some time trying to combine your solution with Dan's and wasn't able to get it working properly.  I'm still reviewing the details behind your solution to see how you've done it, but the end result is what I was looking for.  Thank you so much for the time you spent doing this.

You did mention the this is not the way you would represent this data.  What would you suggest as an alternative compact way to represent the data?  I do have a dashboard filled with a very large number of similar data points so expanding the area they take up isn't really a good option.  But if you do have a good alternative I'd like to hear it!

Best Regards,

Sean

• 10. Re: How do I overlay multiple marks on a single table?
                            Andrew Ball

Hi Sean,

There are always multiple ways to display data, and the right way is always going to be the way that works best for you, and that the end users can understand. So, if the version you had previously will work best for them to understand, then keep that. However, just to get you started on ideas of where it could go, I've attached a file with an alternative. I've put them both in a dashboard and fixed the size, so you can see how they are look in the same space.

Note, I had to rework your data slightly - just unpivoted it

Andrew

• 11. Re: How do I overlay multiple marks on a single table?
                              sean.dawson

Thanks again Andrew.  Your original solution and suggestions are very much appreciated!

Best Regards,

Sean