3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2013 7:56 AM by Dana Withers

Using Conditional Filters

Prakash Wilbert

Hi,

I am trying to create a filled map to compare  by using two different dimensions. Let say I have two dimensions with business vertical and correspondingly business name. The way I am trying to manipulate is , if I select Vertical as "Books" then the data will show for all business related to "BOOKS" vertical, at the same I  am selecting "Barnes and noble" as business then the map will show only data point for "Barnes and noble" alone. whereas I wanted to use "Barnes and noble" to compare with all other business under "Books" vertical. How do I achieve it.

Do appreciate your approach.

Thanks,

Prakash

• 1. Re: Using Conditional Filters
          Dana Withers

I'm not sure that I understand your question without a datasample to play with, but it sounds like a fun puzzle... do you have a dataset to play with?

• 2. Re: Using Conditional Filters
            Prakash Wilbert

Thanks for your response!

Basically I have 2 dimensions Merchant Vertical  and Business name.

I have used merchant city to plot the data in filled map, Let say If I select particular merchant vertical ="Books" then map will only show all business under "Books" vertical, where if I select particular business name "Barnes and Noble" which is part of "Books" vertical then map will plot only for "Barnes Noble".

At this selection what I wanted to show is, I want to show business name related to "Books" vertical at the same time also wanted to show "Barnes and Noble" business in seperate color. The reason why we are doing this wanted to compare the sales of Barnes and noble with across all business under "Books" vertical. Since the data is more senstive that why I am not sharing, but if you still need data. Probably will share you the dummy data.

-Prakash

• 3. Re: Using Conditional Filters
              Dana Withers

Hi Prakash,

hmmm I don't really have an answer, but some ideas definitely. Also I'm really not good with filled maps or making up good data, so I've made a text sample to show how the different calculations filter, but please ignore the fact that cites and countries do not match haha.

In your description that you want to choose merchant first to filter then filter further by specific business, but that second filter should more highlight than filter... ?  What I think you really want is parameters that are dependent on each other or filters that do not completely filter. Neither is possible I think.

However - depending on your data and how often the merchant/business combination changes, I did have a little play. I've made one parameter filled from a calculated field that combines Merchant and Business so you get a list. (which unfortunately needs to be refilled if more merchants or businesses are entered). I think it needs to be a parameter to be able to choose one and not filter on it automatically. Then I calculate colouring based on the following: if it is the chosen business plunk into one group, if it is not the chosen business, but still the same merchant plunk into another group, anything else goes to further groups in case this is necessary/wanted. That way if I choose Barnes & Noble, I see them highlighted, but every other shop is still on the map.

I've also created a filter to ask if you want to filter everything by merchant - if so, then anything that is not from the same merchant as the chosen business is set to show "No" and filtered out.

Does this help you further?

Dana