2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2013 8:31 PM by Chris Moseley

default color and shapes for a variable value

Chris Moseley

I'm building a tool to help with analysis of competitors.  As part of this effort, I allow users to identify a specific competitor location ("Selected Location") to explore in detail.  They do this by picking it from a Parameter list populated with all locations in the market.

One piece in the anlysis is a map with "My Location", the "Selected Location" and then all other players in our space.   I built this up using a CASE statement calculation in the color pill so that "My location" on the map is always Orange, "Other Locations" are always Blue and the "Selected Location" is a third color. 

And that's where my problem begins. The default color Tableau applies to the "Selected Location" is unacceptable; it is barely distinguishable from the background map.  I keep changing the default color for individual locations, which works fine (they stay the correct color when revisited at a later date) but only for that specific location.  When the user selects a new location to view, it appears in crappy tableau default color. 

The prospect of manually changing the defaul for each of the 400+ locations is daunting.  Also, any time there is a new location or a name change, I will have to go back and change their default color.  I tried adjusting the field properties for my calculation but, again, it only changes default color for the currently-selected location and not the others locations selected in the future. 

My question: Is there a way to dictate the default color (or shape) for the selected location even though the selected location is frequently changing?   

Thanks for any assistance. 

• 1. Re: default color and shapes for a variable value
          Tracy Rodgers

Hi Chris,

I'm guessing your calculation may look similar to the following calculation:

(This calculation is called [My Location, Selected Other])

if State=[My Location] then 'My Location'

elseif State=[Selected Location] then 'Selected Location'

else State

end

Create a second calculation based off the above similar to the following and place it on the color shelf:

if [My Location, Selected Other]='My Location' then 'My Location'

elseif [My Location, Selected Other]='Selected Location' then 'Selected Location'

else 'Other Location'

end

Then, the other locations will always be the same color based on whatever color is chosen for Other Location.

Hope this helps!

-Tracy

• 2. Re: default color and shapes for a variable value
            Chris Moseley

Tracy,

Very clever, my friend!  This is a simple, elegant solution that eluded me for days.  I really appreciate your help.  The only drawback I see to this approach is I lose the ability to have the actual name of the selected location appear in the legend (as opposed to the generic "Selected...") but I have the name prominently stated above the map so, little is lost and it's a small sacrifice well worth the improved user experience.

Thanks again.