8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2013 12:42 PM by Jonathan Drummey

Crazy Future Experiments Repository

Michael Kovner

I'm going to list all the crazy ideas I have for using the new API's. I encourage all of you to join in on this brainstorm session and also to hold me accountable ("hey remember when you said you were gonna do that cool thing?...")

JavaScript API:

-Parameter Actions! One thing I've wanted on a couple occasions is the ability to make a selection on a sheet and have some other sheet affected in more ways than just filtering and highlighting. For instance, I have a bar chart of customers and their sales and below it I have a scatterplot comparing two metrics where each plot is a customer. I want to click on the customer name and that customer's plot will grow larger on the scatterplot. I can of course already do this with a parameter, but I don't want to have to select from a list. So I'm thinking create that parameter, but hide it. Create an event listener for marks selection and switch the hidden parameter to that selection.

-Experimentation with cool transition effects. Justin Rockwood's Stock App that was released with Beta1 or so (but is now broken due to changes in the API, I believe) had a cool effect where the 3 vizes were all side by side in a div which was big enough to only show one of them and when you switched vizes instead of just hiding one and showing the other, the whole thing would slide over to show you your new viz. I'd like to explore a variety of cool transition effects which can be subtle but add a lot of polish to a dashboard.

Extract API:

-Grab all of MLB's web-located XML-structured pitchf/x data and put it directly in a tde. Refresh the tde nightly by putting the new data in either a tde or csv and calling Tableau Desktop's new cmd-line utility's 'Add Date From File'

-Combine numpy, scipy, etc. with the python extract api. Grab some data, do some advanced statistical analysis, maybe some machine learning, throw the results in a tde.

OK, that's all I got for now. Your turn.