2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2013 10:44 AM by Toby Erkson

Where does the User/Group "Guest" fall for Role permissions when publishing to server?

Toby Erkson

We have a core-based server license and Enable Guest is enabled.  Here's an example of the Add/Edit Permissions pop-up when publishing to the server from Tableau Desktop:

roles1.jpg

The Question:

If nothing is changed in the User/Group pane in the View Permissions section, does that mean Guests will have the permission Role of "Interactor" as defined by the All Users group?

This is what Guest is defaulted as for permissions (which is the default for Users, too):

New Picture (1).jpg

• 1. Re: Where does the User/Group "Guest" fall for Role permissions when publishing to server?
          Russell Christopher

Wow, great question.

...and you're correct. Since Guest is a member of the All Users group, it'll "mostly" inherit from it. I'm in 8, but here are the effective permissions of Guest (I'm just using the "Check User Permissions" combo-box):

ScreenHunter_01 Feb. 26 19.42.jpg

Note that certain permissions can't be inherited from a parent group. These are permissions generally associated with "ownership" (writing, editing, saving customized versions of a view)...and since anyone can come in as Guest, there's really no way to establish "who" that  anonymous someone is - therefore we just kind of give up and turn the permission off.

Clear as mud?

• 2. Re: Where does the User/Group "Guest" fall for Role permissions when publishing to server?
            Toby Erkson

Russell Christopher wrote:

Wow, great question.

...and you're correct. Since Guest is a member of the All Users group, it'll "mostly" inherit from it. I'm in 8, but here are the effective permissions of Guest (I'm just using the "Check User Permissions" combo-box):

ScreenHunter_01 Feb. 26 19.42.jpg

Note that certain permissions can't be inherited from a parent group. These are permissions generally associated with "ownership" (writing, editing, saving customized versions of a view)...and since anyone can come in as Guest, there's really no way to establish "who" that  anonymous someone is - therefore we just kind of give up and turn the permission off.

Clear as mud?

"Check User Permissions" must be new.  I like, very needed!  Would be cool to set the Guest permissions for the whole server but that's an Idea for another day.

Yeah, I kind of figured it would default to "Interactor" -- which is good for my peeps -- but maybe the 'Share Customized' wouldn't be necessary.  Hmmm, so I like your permission set over mine.  Can't wait to get 8