5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2013 11:07 AM by Andy Piper

Is there any drawback in hosting Tableau servers on VM?

Arun Nandakumar

Is there any drawback in hosting Tableau distributed servers on VMware? Something like 1 primary and 2 workers on 3 VM instance.

I am looking at tableau specific drawbacks rather than generic VM vs. Physical server pros and cons.

• 1. Re: Is there any drawback in hosting Tableau servers on VM?
          Leigh Fonseca

Hi Arun,

I've deployed Tableau server on VMware instances as you described and did not have any issues.  In fact, we realized some benefits in being able to leverage DEV & PROD instances -- background snapshots of the instance were taken daily and we were able to deploy the PROD snapshot to DEV for troubleshooting and for upgrade testing.  Also, with the background snapshots we always had a complete backup we could restore to a new VM in minutes.  Depending on the configuration of your environment, you'll need to look at a number of factors (concurrent users, size and refresh frequency of extracts, complexity of workbooks) to determine whether you have appropriate system allocation for your VMs.  That said, we were very happy with our deployment. 

Cheers,
          Leigh

• 2. Re: Is there any drawback in hosting Tableau servers on VM?
            Joseph Pomerville

Just like Leigh, we too have the Tableau server on our VM environments and have not had any problems.  We are currently using version 7, but will soon make the upgrade to version 8, so I cannot speak to the v8 performance quite yet.

• 3. Re: Is there any drawback in hosting Tableau servers on VM?
              Justyn Attwool

I've deployed under a VM and bare metal environments, though I like the idea of snapshotting the whole environment; a simple nightly tabadmin stop;  tabadmin backup; tabadmin start completes quickly enough (but the data is held on an external DB).

Only thing I can think of is numbers of COREs that you've got allocated to the VM.

Depending on where your data is located (e.g. external DB) etc.. and how many users you're going to end up running on the system.

• 4. Re: Is there any drawback in hosting Tableau servers on VM?
                Jurien Groot

Leigh Fonseca

It would be great if you can share some more details on your current hardware / configuration setup. We've deployed a distributed test environment on VM - EC2, with Tableau 8, but see a decrease in performance compared to our current T7 setup on a different VM setup.

Thanks in advance!

Jurien

• 5. Re: Is there any drawback in hosting Tableau servers on VM?
                  Andy Piper

We're currently running a 1 primary & 2 worker server configuration of v7 in a production environment and in a development environment - all on VMs. We haven't tried in a non-VM environment, so I can't compare; but we haven't experienced any issues that I think would be associated specifically to a VM environment.

Currently we are testing out v8 server (1 machine) right now within a 40gb VM environment, but hope to deploy v8 within the next 2 months. I also plan to ask IT for more space allocated to the v8 test VM. Two advantages I see using VM:

• Assuming disk space is available on the VM server, you can vary the amount of space given to the TS environment without having to swap hardware and/or reconfiguring TS
                  • IT may be more apt to give you access to a VM server rather than having to invest in additional hardware