1 2 3 Previous Next 37 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2013 8:51 AM by Sudam Shetty

Graph issues

Jackie Klein

Any idea how I can convert this to a Line graph and show it as one graph - not separate graphs by site?  So for example, the data for December 2012 would show a green line for Charlotte at a height of 92%, red line for Jacksonville lower at 71%, Los Angeles higher at 93%, etc?  I have had quite a time just getting it do this point due to blended data.  The reference line labels are showing the values (92%, 71%, 93%, etc.) that I want to graph. 

022113.png

Parameter Dummy.png

Reference Line for Dummy.png

Message was edited by: Jackie Klein - Updated first screen to show Data Window.

• 1. Re: Graph issues
          Shawn Wallwork

Jackie, please widen out your first screen shot so we can see how your data is structured. Thanks,

--Shawn

• 2. Re: Graph issues
            Jackie Klein

Thanks Shawn, I widened the first screen shot. 

• 3. Re: Graph issues
              Shawn Wallwork

Try this:

1. Go to Show Me and click the line chart type.
              2. Now take SITE_TEXT off the row shelf.

That should do it. You should have a line chart, with a line for each individual city.

--Shawn

• 4. Re: Graph issues
                Jackie Klein

Thanks... when I click on the Show Me and then the Line-discrete (because it won't let me select Line-Continuous, the result is the screen below.  I lose the original values that were computed by the Reference Line - (92%, 71%, 93%, etc.).

022113_2.png

Also, I tried just changing the Bar to Line under "Marks" to the left and it shows the following (same thing - I lose the original Reference Line values).

022113_3.png

• 5. Re: Graph issues
                  Shawn Wallwork

Jackie, without playing around with it, I'm not sure I can help. Sorry,

--Shawn

• 6. Re: Graph issues
                    Sudam Shetty

Jackie,  What are you trying to show with the % of Total Distinct Count of CUST_ID ?

• 7. Re: Graph issues
                      Jackie Klein

The % of Total Distinct Count of CUST_ID shows the % of total distinct Customers from each site. 

In this view, I'm only "Keeping" Customers that have a MET_GOALS_REV (# Goals Met) value of 3 or 4 because that's what I'm interested in Graphing.  So each site adds up to 100% as follows:

example:

Charlotte - Dec 2012

% of Customers who meet 1 Goal = 2%
                      % of Customers who meet 2 Goals = 6%

% of Customers who meet 3 Goals = 52%

% of Customers who meet 4 Goals = 40%

Total                                             100%

The total of 3 & 4 is 92% (52% + 40%) - that is what I'm trying to graph.

• 8. Re: Graph issues
                        Sudam Shetty

Try these steps:

1. Remove Parameter: Dummy from the rows shelf

2. Remove SITE_TEXT from Rows shelf

3. In the Marks shelf change mark type from bar to line

4. Right click on CNTD(CUST_PERSON_ID) in the rows shelf and choose 'Edit Table Calculation'

5. For  'Summarize the values from' choose Advanced

6. When the Advanced popup opens, Move [Month, Day, Year of PERIOD_REP] to the Compute Using section on the right

7. Close all popus with OK or APPLY

Let me know if this works

• 9. Re: Graph issues
                          Jackie Klein

Thanks Sudam, I tried those steps and here is the result - shows 100%.

022613_2.png

• 10. Re: Graph issues
                            Sudam Shetty

Can you try clearing the the Level of Detail shelf  and removing MET_GOAL from the column shelf

• 11. Re: Graph issues
                              Jackie Klein

Getting closer - but the percentages don't match what are shown on the original graph.

For example, Winston Salem is showing 68.29% for August, and should be 100%.

022613_3.png

• 12. Re: Graph issues
                                Sudam Shetty

Jackie, Why did you have AGG(MET_GOAL on the columns shelf in your original view? Not sure if that is causing any inconsistency. Would be difficult to tell without looking at the actual data.

Heres what I would do. Right click on the tab name at the bottom and select duplicate as cross tab. Once you have the datasheet view, try modifying the CNTD(CUST_PERSON_ID) field so you have accurate percentages. The problem you are facing is not a formatting issue, Its the way Tableau calculates % of total distinct IDs

• 13. Re: Graph issues
                                  Jackie Klein

I had AGG(MET_GOAL on the columns shelf as I wasn't sure if I need it to keep only the "3/4" values for this field.  The values don't change whether I keep it on the columns shelf or not.

Also... do I need to do anything with the "Percentage of" in the Analysis menu?  It is currently set to "Column in Pane".

I've tried playing with both the Analysis menu and the CNTD(CUST_PERSON_ID) field to get the accurate percentages with no luck.  I tried that even before posting this.  The line graph above is the closest I've gotten however to what I want.

022613_4.png

• 14. Re: Graph issues
                                    Sudam Shetty

The percentage of should be set to 'None'

1 2 3 Previous Next