3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2013 8:36 AM by Danny Combs

Is there a way to group together common measures in a list

Danny Combs

I have a very simple view that is nothing more than a list of 20 measures, each displaying a numerical value to show the number of different types of employees by school.  I have 'school name' on the column shelf and then 'measure names' on the row shelf, with 20 different measures under 'measure values'.  The measures are things such as "number of math teachers", "number of reading teachers", "principals", "assistant principals", etc.  I would like to visually break up and group the measures into three categories:  Administrators, Office Support, Teaching Faculty.  I can put "measure names" on the color shelf and then assign each measure in the same group to the same color, Red for Administrators, Green for Office Support etc.  But that's not really what I'm looking for.  Is there a way to group them?  If I could "Create Group..." on the 'measure names' dimension that would work perfectly... but I don't think you can.  Other approaches?

Thanks,

Danny

• 1. Re: Is there a way to group together common measures in a list
          Zachary Cooper

Also looking for a solution for this. I have product categories that have similiar measures names for each. I need to create a parameter that can toggle and display a different groups of measure names.

• 2. Re: Is there a way to group together common measures in a list
            Melanie Tart

Danny,

I created the attached workbook by linking two Excel sheets.  The first sheet lists the schools with the number of positions within each school.  The second sheet puts each position within a category as you described.  Not sure if this is what you were looking for, but I gave it a shot.  To get the categories color coded, I just dragged the category dimension into the chart itself.

Hope this helps!

Melanie

• 3. Re: Is there a way to group together common measures in a list
              Danny Combs

Thanks very much for thinking about this one and putting that out there.  In my case the big difference is in the data source.  For me the data source has many rows, but three fields including

School Name

Grade Level and

Number of students

The position types are all calculated fields and I don't, at present, have the position categories established in the data set.  So as a for instance I have a calculated field called

Assistant Principal where it is calculated as

IF SUM(Number of students)>900 then 2 ELSE 1 END

All the other positions are each established with their own criteria as a calculated field.

So in my viz I have School Name on the column shelf, Measure Names on the rows shelf, and Measure Values on the Text shelf.  Then I have about 20 different calculated fields as measures.  So it's all these measures, which don't already have categories attached to them in the data because the measure itself isn't in the data, that I need to group up.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Danny