3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2013 10:14 AM by Toby Erkson

Question about Project Leader permissions in Tableau Server 8

Toby Erkson

I want Project Leaders that can add/remove Users.  Currently this option is only allowed for Content Admins...which have too many rights for a Project Leader role.  So, will there be improvements in permission assignments in TS8?

• 1. Re: Question about Project Leader permissions in Tableau Server 8
          Sara Rantschler

I recommend adding this to the ideas forum where this can be tracked as a request for a new feature.  Please include what your use case is for this and what permissions you would like to see in your post.

• 2. Re: Question about Project Leader permissions in Tableau Server 8
            Russell Christopher

Hey Toby -

I think your definition of what a Project Leader should be able to do is different than mine. Can you elaborate on your thoughts?

To me, giving Project Leader the ability to add users is a bad thing - By doing so, you'd effectively "graduate" this person from only being able to manage content in a project to having the ability to impact the entire server: For example, a "none-too-bright" Project Leader might create a bunch of "test" accounts in his or her project and eat up all the remaining named licenses on the box - forcing a "real" admin to come in and clean up. This situation would be even worse in a multi-tenant environment...

Just my two cents.

• 3. Re: Question about Project Leader permissions in Tableau Server 8
              Toby Erkson

You want me to comment on some hair-brained thought I had two months ago?  I can't even remember what I had for breakfast yesterday

Uhm, I think my thinking for this thought was to allow a Project Leader to add/edit/remove users for their specific Project only, NOT the entire server nor other Projects as I know that would be a bad thing

Message was edited by: Toby Erkson<BR> Oh, wait, I think I understand what you're saying.  Yeah, maybe I'm giving users too much credit.  I should know better.  I think I had a reason when I wrote this originally but it's likely passed by now.  If it's important I'll add it to the Idea section.