2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2017 7:46 AM by Geoffrey Cleaves

Default dashboard to auto-pause refresh

joseph.bertram

Is there anyway to default a Dashboard or workbook tab to pause automatic updates? 

Most of my users want to flip about 5-6 quick filters first but always have to remember to first click the pause button and then unpause.

• 1. Re: Default dashboard to auto-pause refresh
          Russell Christopher

Hey Joseph -

Currently no. However, Tableau Server 8 contains a JavaScript API which allows you to toggle "auto-update" on and off. While this still wouldn't be a "perfect" solution, you could:

• Nest the visualization/dashboard in a web page
          • In the web page, write a few lines of code that automatically turns auto-update off when the dashboard finishes rendering.

Or, go "quick and dirty" and add a big orange label to the dashboard that  says "Don't forget to turn off auto-update!"

Seriously, they'll figure it out after having to wait a few times

• 2. Re: Default dashboard to auto-pause refresh
            Geoffrey Cleaves

I accomplish something similar, although not exactly what you want. I have a "Report state" parameter set to "Paused" which I include in a filter so that the underlying query loads no data. The dashboard/worksheet opens immediately. The user changes all the filters/parameter and then sets the "Report state" parameter to "Active." By setting the parameter to Active, the query returns data.

select * from table where 'Active'=<Parameter.Report state>