5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2013 10:27 AM by Buddy DILELLA

Pie Chart

Buddy DILELLA

Is there anyway to add the nbr of records to each slice of the PIE in a Pie chart?

thanks in advance for the help!

-B

• 1. Re: Pie Chart
          Joshua Milligan

Buddy,

Tableau 8 will make this so much easier because it will let you put multiple fields on the label shelf!  But it can be done in Tableau 7.  One way is to create a calculated field to get the percent and then another calculated field to combine the percent and other values you want to show in a string.

I've attached your workbook to demonstrate.  There is a little additional logic in the calculated field to hide percentages in the label that are less than 10%.  That's primarily for formatting reasons -- you can play around with it to see what works for you.

Joshua

pie.png

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Pie Chart
            Joshua Milligan

Buddy,

Visualization best practice purists would point out that a bar chart is easier to read than a pie.  I can very easily compare relative sizes of bars, versus slices.

It also makes it much easier to include the percent in the viz without having to worry about overlapping marks or even using a calculated field to build a label.  Here's what it might look like:

bar.png

Joshua

• 3. Re: Pie Chart
              Buddy DILELLA

Joshua,

I agree with you 100% concerning Pie charts.  Let me lay the bar chart on the management team.  They are stuck on this pie chart visualization for some reason.  Tough to break old habits. 

How did you get bar chart to work with the percent to the left?  Everytime I do it the percent and number of records displays as a bar chart.

• 4. Re: Pie Chart
                Joshua Milligan

Buddy,

I changed the percent from continuous to discrete (you can see in the image that the field on the Rows shelf is blue instead of green).  As a discrete type, it creates headers instead of axes.

Joshua

• 5. Re: Pie Chart
                  Buddy DILELLA

Joshua,   Niiiiccccceeeeee!!!!!!

Thanks for your help and more importantly,  your time.

Buddy