5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2013 4:17 AM by Jonathan Drummey

Can we create a Scrolling Chart  (X / Y axis zoom slider)

SIdhesh Mangle

I got bar chart - showing the shipments of 40 + Plants. It is difficult to view all 40+ plants in single Chart (It will be used as a parent filter for 2nd line chart to view  the trend analysis of the plant selected in bar chart)

Can we create scrolling chart or zoom slider @ x/y axis which would help to slide the bar charts left/right.

It can be similar to Excel  scroll bar chart posted here http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10things/10-steps-to-creating-a-scrolling-excel-chart/3454

I am looking for something similar to Zoom slider option available in every chart properties of Spotfire tool.

• 1. Re: Can we create a Scrolling Chart  (X / Y axis zoom slider)
          Alex Kerin

I don't understand what you are trying to do that's different from the scroll bar that is in Tableau already - see attached:

• 2. Re: Can we create a Scrolling Chart  (X / Y axis zoom slider)
            SIdhesh Mangle

Hello Alex, You file has the scroll bar but it doen't give the functionality to zoom -in/out the chart.

I've attached a demo of Zoom slider available in Spotfire (It helps to view the trend as per month & then drill it down to day level using zoom slider within single view. Also helps to  focus on target from multiple value range.

• 3. Re: Can we create a Scrolling Chart  (X / Y axis zoom slider)
              Alex Kerin

I don't have a stand alone flash player unfortunately - is there a web page with it somewhere?

• 4. Re: Can we create a Scrolling Chart  (X / Y axis zoom slider)
                SIdhesh Mangle

Sorry i don't hv it on webpage. i've attached the video of it. Hope that works for you.

• 5. Re: Can we create a Scrolling Chart  (X / Y axis zoom slider)
                  Jonathan Drummey

Hi,

Here's one way to do this in Tableau… The only slider range selectors (my term for the Spotfire Zoom slider) available in Tableau are for continuous filters. It's easy enough to set a continuous date filter on the date to get the bottom chart, the tougher one is the top chart since the bars are based on discrete values. The idea I came up with was to generate a range of numeric values to correspond to the discrete bars. In the attached, what I did was:

1. Set up the "rank workout" worksheet with an INDEX() calc rank the Sub-Category dimension.

2. Used those result to create a CASE statement in the original data set to return the right value, I called this "Sub-Category Rank by Sum of Sales". In practice, what I'd most likely do is put steps #1 and 2 into SQL, so they could be dynamic. Also, in Tableau v8 parameters can be used within the SQL so the sort order could be dynamically updated.

3. Used a continuous dimension of the Sub-Category Rank quick filter as a global filter. In Tableau v8, this wouldn't have to be a global filter and could just target the worksheets on the dashboard.

4. Put a dashboard together with the worksheets in the order as shown in the video.

A couple of other options that I considered that didn't work:

• Just using a filter on INDEX() - this is great for filtering the first worksheet, but does not work for the second because table calc filers can't be used across worksheets.
                  • Using a data blend. In this case I computed the INDEX(), then copied & pasted the data to create a datasource that would get me the rank. This works fine in the first worksheet, but fails to work across worksheets because the field used for the blend (Sub-Category) doesn't exist in the line chart worksheet. This might work in v8, and there are workarounds using table calcs in v7, but either way it's still not a dynamic solution.
                  • Using a filter on SUM([Sales]). This also works for changing the range of displayed bars, but as a global filter it's acting on the SUM([Sales]) within each view so it's not actually removing different categories from the view per se, it's filtering out marks (whether dates in the line chart or sub-categories in the bar chart) that don't match the filter settings.

Jonathan

2 of 2 people found this helpful