6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2013 6:17 AM by Dave Hitchins

Support for 64 bit ODBC Driver?

Dave Hitchins

Hope someone can help. We are planning to build an ODBC Driver that will allow our databse customers to use Tableau for dashboarding. Am I correct that only 32-bit ODBC drivers are currenty supported? Is support for 64-bit drivers likely in the short/medium term?

Many thanks.

Dave

• 1. Re: Support for 64 bit ODBC Driver?
          Tim Latendress

Hi Dave,

Tableau does support 64-bit drivers. We use the SAS 64-bit driver all the time. However you need to know that the default ODBC Administrator you find in the Control Panel on x64 machines is still the 32-bit version. If you load 64-bit drivers and run that default ODBC Administrator you won't see them listed. And so, for the 64-bit drivers, you need to navigate to C:\WINDOWS\SYSWOW64 and run odbcad32.exe. On our machines we have added it as a shortcut to the Control Panel with an "x64" in the name to make it easier to find. 

Hope this helps.

--Tim

• 2. Re: Support for 64 bit ODBC Driver?
            Robert Morton

Dave, may I contact you via email using your forum account info? I'd like to connect you to the right people at Tableau who build and grow our partner relationships.

Tim, it's more likely the case that Tableau is using the 32-bit SAS driver installed alongside the 64-bit driver. Our technology stack does include some 64-bit components such as our Data Engine, but our core connectivity layers still operate on 32-bit drivers. The '%systemdrive%\WINDOWS\SYSWOW64\odbcad32.exe' component in Windows is actually the 32-bit component; this seems misleading from the file path, but WOW64 means "Windows on Windows-64-bit" and is a compatibility layer. Equally confusing is that the 64-bit version is in this path: '%systemdrive%\Windows\System32\odbcad32.exe'. The following KB article by Microsoft explains this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942976

-Robert

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Support for 64 bit ODBC Driver?
              Tim Latendress

Ooops, you are exactly right Robert (of course). I am so accustomed to telling people about where to locate the drivers on a 64-bit machine that I automatically responded with incorrect info. Sorry Dave.

However it does make me curious about a 64-bit Tableau Desktop. At the conference they mentioned it is in the pipeline but couldn't recall if that was just server or also the desktop?

--Tim

• 4. Re: Support for 64 bit ODBC Driver?
                Robert Morton

Hi Tim,

We'd love to support both 32-bit and 64-bit in both Desktop and Server. Aside from the mention at the customer conference, I don't know of any official roadmap or timeframe that has been discussed for these versions. I certainly cannot comment on their priority or how soon either or both may happen.

-Robert

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Support for 64 bit ODBC Driver?
                  Tom Newton

Dave,
                  Simba Technologies is the leader in ODBC connectivity and can certainly help you with Tableau connectivity as we have done with most of the big providers.

Please let me know how we can help you. Feel free to visit www.simba.com.

Regards,
                  Tom

• 6. Re: Support for 64 bit ODBC Driver?
                    Dave Hitchins

Thanks very much for the feedback. I have also had a direct response from a Tableau account representative who we will continue dialogue with.

Tom , we already have a relationship with Simba so will explore that avenue too.