12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2013 5:12 AM by Shawn Wallwork

play button associated to a parameter

Massimiliano Colombo

Hi,

I have a dataset that contains information about shop in my country  that I visualize on a map.

Each shop has two timestamp that represent the opening date and the closing date.

I create a parameter “current date”  that allow me to move inside a timeline I’ve chosen with a day-by-day step.

I also created a calculated field linked to this parameter  in order to show for a given day only the shops that were opened at that time

(opening date <”current date”< closing date).

At present, to show dynamically the icons representing shops on the map, I have to move the cursor of the parameter “current date”.

I would like to know if it is possible to move the cursor automatically using something like a “play button” (I’ve thought to move the parameter “current date” into the page shelf but it doesn’t work).

Thanks

Massimiliano

• 1. Re: play button associated to a parameter
          Shawn Wallwork

Massimiliano, are you working in Desktop or Server? I don't know of a way to animate a parameter, like you're talking about. But you should be able to animate a date field using the page shelf. However if your viz is getting posted to Server you would have to click through the dates anyway because Server doesn't yet have an auto-play option for the page shelf, Desktop does.

If you post a sample packaged workbook (with dummy data if need be), I can help you set up the animation.

--Shawn

• 2. Re: play button associated to a parameter
            Massimiliano Colombo

I'm working with Desktop.

In attachment an example with dummy data.

As you may see, moving the cursor of the parameter “current date”, icons appear and disappear from the map according to the filter condition = true.

It would be nice if I had a "play button" that "activates" the parameter in order to show automatically the changes in the map accurring during pass of time.

thanks.

Massimiliano

• 3. Re: play button associated to a parameter
              Shawn Wallwork

Massimiliano, I didn't forget about you, I just wasn't able to get it working the way I wanted. The attached is as close I as could get. I think it works OK. When Richard is back from holiday he might be able to get it to work exactly the way you want.

--Shawn

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: play button associated to a parameter
                Richard Leeke

So what were you hoping to achieve, Shawn?

I'm guessing that you wanted to make the animation happen in proportion to the passage of time? You can achieve that by padding your data source with rows on which there were no openings or closings.

The trouble with that is that you have some events that are two years apart and some that are a day apart - so to step through that absolutely in proportion you would need daily rows spanning several years - which would animate really slowly.

You might be able to approximate by sampling monthly.

• 5. Re: play button associated to a parameter
                  Shawn Wallwork

Actually, proportionality isn't the issue. In his original viz he had a opening date and a closing date for each shop, and then he used a parameter to step through the dates turning marks on an off based on:

open< parameter date< close

But he wanted to animate this parameter, which of course you can't do. While I was able to show each event using the page shelf history, I wasn't able to work out how to turn them off when the closing date came along, so instead I turned them grey, which works OK, but isn't what he originally asked for. On that outdoor boards viz we worked, we did the show/hide in the data source, which I suppose we could do, but I keep thinking there must be a way to combine his open/close states to show all the shops that are open without having to use paging history. Thoughts?

--Shawn

• 6. Re: play button associated to a parameter
                    Richard Leeke

Ok,  I see what you did.  I'll take a look.

I think the proportionality of the timeline is worth thinking about, too, though. Just animating at one frame per event gives a very misleading impression of the passage of time if you don't have a homogeneous time source.

• 7. Re: play button associated to a parameter
                      Shawn Wallwork

Agreed. I wouldn't (didn't) do it this way, but it's not really my viz.

--Shawn

• 8. Re: play button associated to a parameter
                        Richard Leeke

I've attached a version where I demonstrate what I mean by daily and monthly animation - by adding tables of all days and also the first of each month to the spreadsheet and joining to one or other of those.

The daily one is way too slow - you'd die of old age waiting for any insight after hitting the play button, even on fast.

The monthly one is OK, I think - though as I've done it it only shows whole months - you'd need some date calculations in a custom SQL expression to include partial months.

I also added a timeline view so that you can highlight marks on the map and see the time range the stores were open.

• 9. Re: play button associated to a parameter
                          Massimiliano Colombo

Hi Richard,

your version is very intersting.

I would ask you how you managed the date field generation.

I supppose you did not insert data manually.

thanks

Massimiliano

• 10. Re: play button associated to a parameter
                            Shawn Wallwork

He just added a sheet for month in the Excel file, and most likely drag-copied them down. BTW, if you ever want to take a look at the Excel file, just rt-clk the data source, then go to "edit connection" and then without clicking anything do a ctrl-c (copy). Now you can paste this into the open Excel file line. It will include the path to the temporary file. If you make changes to this file, save, and then refresh your workbook, those changes will show up. But once you close the workbook, the temp path is no longer valid. So if you open the T workbook again, you'll need to locate the new temp path for the Excel file.

--Shawn

• 11. Re: play button associated to a parameter
                              Massimiliano Colombo

Hi,

I would know if it is possible to synchronize different page shelves inside a dashboard.

I have a dashboard with three different charts taken from three different worksheet developed from three different data source not connected.

as you suggested in every of this data source I have a field called “current date” that permit me to show the evolution of each charts during time.

In the final dashboard I have three different charts with three different page shelves that obviously are not synchronized (The 3 page shelves  represent the same time period but they are taken from different sources).

As far as the page shelves refers to the same time period, is it possible synchronize them even if the field “current date” is taken from three different data sources?

Thanks

M

• 12. Re: play button associated to a parameter
                                Shawn Wallwork

It sounds doable, but with different data sources there will be some added complexity. You'll need to post another sample packaged workbook to give us something to play with.

--Shawn