Very cool, Tamas, thanks for sharing!
I had a few questions in email regarding the use cases, how can people use this component so I just did a simple proof of concept:
What it does:
- Downloads a statistical data file from the web in tsv.gz format (http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/NavTree_prod/everybody/BulkDownloadListing?dir=data&sort=1&sort=2&start=h)
- Uncompress the gzip file
- As the file has both tab and coma separator, it extracts both delimiters from the file
- Load an excel file which contain the ISO country code and outer joins with the cleansed result set
- Put it to a Tableau Extract file which is ready for reporting
So if you have some complicated workflow getting and cleansing your data before daily tableau usage then an ETL / Data Integration tool is the right solution to automate the whole flow.
You can find the workflow in the attached zip file for closer look
export.zip 49.8 KB
Thank you for sharing the information. I've downloaded the free version of Talend and using it for extracting data from SAP Infocubes(i.e. Fact Tables) and in the process all the string values of Infocube are extracted in numeric format. So, thought of skipping this step and creating a .tde format directly but Talend throws an error saying "unable to load library DataExtract." I'm really looking for data to be extracted into .tde format and few queries related, hope you could clarify few of them.
1. Can we extract records from SAP Infocubes into .tde?
2. What is the maximum size of the .tde file that can be created say I'm having around 20 million row Infocube, can I extract all the records?
Attached is the screenshot of the error, hoping you might help me either in troubleshooting or providing some useful insights related.
First of all, a lot of things are changed since I wrote this post:
- With Tableau 8.1 you can extract InfoProviders (cubes, queries) directly with Server or Desktop
- My company developed an SAP ERP connector for Tableau so you can also create extracts from SAP ERP Tables with server of desktop
However, if you want to do it with other calcs, or use BAPI functions as input or perform it in batch stlye, my component can help you.
You can also use tSAPBWInput component to extract from BW cubes/queries in Talend, in this case you should replace the tPLSAPInput with that component and provide an MDX query to extract.
The problem with your workflow is related to the external dependencies which is a typical error indicating that the dataextract.jar was unable to load the native dll files. Please check:
- Do you have the same architecture (32 or 64 bit) for TDE API and Talend. If you are using 32bit tableau API, then you should start talend with TOS_DI-win32-x86.exe. If you are using 64bit TDE API, then you should start talendwith TOS_DI-win-x86_64.exe
- The TDE API files must be in the PATH or in the same folder where Talend executables are located. For instance, api\bin\* files must be in the same directory as TOS_DI-win-x86_64.exe
Let me know if this does not help.
Thank you for sharing the information, I can now successfully extract date into .tde format but since I'm working with Infocubes & queries I cannot specify their names anywhere. I've even downloaded the jdbc4olap and stuck with moving ahead.
Do I need to extract following jar files into the same folder TOS_DI-win32-x86.exe and how to setup jdbc connection to my BW server and where can I get the JBDC URL. I have even added them into my classpath variables as shown in the screenshot.
Also after getting my JDBC URL where can I enter my Infocube or Query names so that I can only extract data from them into .tde format. While running the job I'm facing following error with component settings as below.
I've been working with Tableau & Talend since last 10 days just to extract data from my SAP Infocubes or queries but really got stuck here and if you could provide any document fulfilling my requirement or any further steps that would be much helpful.
Any response is really appreciated.
How to setup tSAPBWInput: https://help.talend.com/display/TalendOpenStudioforBigDataComponentsReferenceGuide53EN/tSAPBWInput
Usually I use this component from the Repository - Database menu, since I can browse the tables and their fields and import their metadata.
But I still believe that if you want to work only with BW Cubes and Queries then Tableau 8.1 exactly what you need.
1) you can build a nice dashboard with SAP BW source with extract option
2) with Tableau command line (Tableau Data Extract Command-Line Utility) you can refresh the BW extract from scheduled job / do it on the server
This is exactly what you need in my opinion
What you've said is definitely right but connecting Tableau 8.1 with SAP might not allow me to use all the Tableau functionalities, also I'm still on Tableau 8.0.4 and upgarding to Tableau 8.1 might consume time for me, Would be testing it once it is released.
I have read the document of driver set up but I'm not sure how to set it up since in the document provided driver setup was done Prelytis and I have no clue about it. So, I've checked if my webservice is available at SAP end and as seen in the attached document it is available and using the same link in defining JDBC URL.
Please find the document attached which might help you in understanding my scenario and errors. Hoping you might be the right person who could help me.
OLAP Driver setup.docx 788.2 KB
I'm unable to setup OLAP driver connection, can you kindly look into this issue?
I want to extract records from SAP BW Infocubes and Queries and hoping for any assistance or ideas.
I need to check it which needs time (I am on-site at a customer) so it could take a few days to answer your question properly. In the meanwhile I suggest you to jump to the Talend Community forum as this question is more talend than tableau specific
Hope you are doing good!
I have a question. I am actually trying to extract the data from Youtube Analytics but I don't know why it is showing me null values. It only showing me column names without data. I have tried method described in this file - http://jan-lolling.de/talend/components/help/tYoutubeAnalyticsInput.pdf
Already asked this question with the guy who created this connector but he also unable to help me for now. If you have any clue then let me know.
Thanks in advance.
Any help, I have this error while running Tableau extract
tarting job TableauTest at 15:15 31/01/2017.
[statistics] connecting to socket on port 3888
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: Unable to load library 'DataExtract': The specified module could not be found.
at com.tableausoftware.DataExtract.Extract.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
Job TableauTest ended at 15:15 31/01/2017. [exit code=1]
I appreciate your response, I just want to let you know that the error was not resolved after applying the new extract.
If time permit, kindly look into it again.