3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2012 6:10 AM by Russell Christopher

Trouble opening files

Mike Snow

I am getting an error when trying to open any file type (Access, excel, text): 

The procedure entry point LoadCursorI could not be located in the dynamic link library MSDART.DLL

An error occured while communicatinig with the data source

Unknown error communicating with the data source (COM: 0x8007007f)

I have re-installed and search the net but have not come up with anything.My desktop is Windows 7.  This is my first time using Tableau. 

• 1. Re: Trouble opening files
          Russell Christopher

Hey Mike -

Haven't seen a mention of this file in years. Sorry, had a quick walk down memory lane there.

Anyway, this a supporting file for Microsoft's MDAC data access distribution. As I recall, it contained object model information. This file probably needs to be used by the JET (MS Access) database engine. Tableau uses JET to open up Access/Text/Excel files, so if MSDART has "gone missing", it would probably impact Tableau when we try to leverage JET to open Access/Text/Excel.

Anyway, this sucker used to "fall out" of the registry now and then and would need to be manually re-registered.

If you Google "msdart.dll register", you should find tons of hits which talk about how to manually re-register this guy. However before you do that, I'd suggest you simply re-download the Microsoft Access Database Engine 2007 setup file from http://www.tableausoftware.com/support/drivers and run it. It MIGHT re-register the file for you and save you some trouble.

Hope this helps!

• 2. Re: Trouble opening files
            Mike Snow

Still no luck.  I installed the MS Access driver and that did not work.  When attempting to register msdart.dll I am getting the error:  The module "msdart.dll" was loaded but the entry-point DllRegisterServer was not found.  Make sure that "msdart.dll" is a valid DLL or OCX file and then try again. 

• 3. Re: Trouble opening files
              Russell Christopher

OK.

Unfortunately, our guys aren't going to be quite as helpful to you as the issue is occurring in your operating system - Tableau not being able to connect to Access/Excel/Text is just symptomatic of the real problem.

What OS are you on? 32-bit or 64-bit? This link MIGHT just do the trick for you:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/msdartdll-registration-error/eb5ca112-f8d2-46b7-9de5-900945c3145e

Essentially, you should try and find the MDAC (Microsoft Data Access Components) that is appropriate for your machine and re-install it.

1 of 1 people found this helpful