1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 24, 2012 5:43 AM by Russell Christopher

LDAP Apple Open Directory

Stephan van Heest

Hello,

I'm investigating if Tableau is compatible with Apple Open Directory LDAP.

On the support site I saw some articles describing Tableau's support for MS Active Director.

I could not find anything about Open Directory, so my question: Is Tableau compatible with Open Directory?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: LDAP Apple Open Directory
          Russell Christopher

Hi Stephan -

Tableau is compatible with Open Directory via Tableau's "Trusted Authentication" mechanism. Microsoft's Active Directory is the only LDAP-based service which "just works out of the box".

In essence, Tableau's Trusted Authentication acts as a "bridge" between any arbitrary authentication store and Tableau Server. You'll need to write a few lines of code which essentially:

• Returns the Open Directory user who you want to authenticate against Tableau
          • Passes that user name to Tableau
          • Works with a "ticket" that Tableau returns to your code. This ticket acts as an authentication token.

Please search our knowledge base for the phrases "Trusted Tickets" or "Trusted Authentication" if you'd like a deeper dive into this functionality.

Russell