11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2013 1:04 PM by hub.yoo

summing data from a different datasource

hub.yoo

Hello everyone,

First off, would like to say happy holidays to all the tableau users out there.

That being said, i have a question regarding data blending. I seem to repeatedly get stuck on data blending issues, specifically with workarounds for aggregations

BACKGROUND:

A part number is an assembly of tubes that are packaged in a unit. The calculations are based on the following: finding the amount of component in the tube * the amount of tubes in the unit * the amount of units in inventory = total amount of componenet used.

I have two data sources:

Data source A:

Part Number

Component

Per Assembly

Per Unit

Data source B:

Part Number

Qty (in inventory)

The component in data source A is basically a part used to produce the part number. multiple part numbers use the same componenet. I am trying to make a visualization that shows the amount of component used overall.

Im okay with the data blends when i have the link

Ok.JPG

but when i try to show the total based on component, the qtys that were specific to the part number is lost, and the amount of componenet in a unit assembly is multiplied by the QTy in inventory overall.

i understand the concept of aggregations and why i get a * but i can't find a work around.

Any advice/assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and happy holidays!