14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2013 1:52 PM by Cristian Vasile

Why is my Tableau Server so slow?

Niclas Roos

Hi,

I'm working with a new client and we're just about to start publishing workbooks to the server. At the moment, it's just me who has access to the server and I'm running some tests to make sure that everything works. However, I'm not at all impressed by the performance at the moment.

Server specs:

Dedicated virtual server for Tableau Server

Win Server 2008 R2 Enterprise

Intel Xeon E7450 @2.40GHz

6 GB RAM

13,2 GB free disk space at the moment

Test case specs:

Workbook based on extract, 23 MB

One dashboard with 5 graphs, 2 quick filters and one map

I've tested this workbook on Tableau desktop on my parallells' partition, with 1548 MB of RAM, with good results.

When I access the workbook through the Tableau Server and interact with the dashboard, there's a significant lag for selections to applied.

At first, I thought the problem was caused by having both Apache and IIS installed on the machine, but the problem remains after uninstalling IIS. I've tried to trouble shoot by looking at the Resource Monitor on the server, which presents an interesting graph:

Skärmavbild 2012-12-20 kl. 10.37.32.png

This is the usage when no one is using the server and no refresh is being performed. I'm guessing this is related to the slow performance, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards,

Niclas Roos