3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2012 3:07 AM by Robin Kennedy

Resolving chasm traps in Tableau

Robin Kennedy

How do you go about resolving a chasm trap (caused by a many to many relationship in your data) where using normal table joins creates a partial Cartesian product in Tableau?

Create two different data sources and blend?

Make use of COUNTD? (and SUM / COUNTD etc etc)

Or some other way?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Resolving chasm traps in Tableau
          Robert Morton

Hi Robin,

Data Blending is a great way to avoid this kind of problem, because it performs joins only after aggregating each data set separately along a common dimensionality, and the results cannot be further aggregated.

Another approach is to perform the same kind of post-aggregate join yourself using Custom SQL. You will have to aggregate data from both tables to a common dimensionality prior to joining, which you can do using a subquery. This typically follows the form:

select derived_table_1.field1, ..., derived_table_2.field1, ...

from

(

select dim1, dim2, ..., AGG(meas1), AGG(meas2), ...

from actual_table_1

group by ...

) derived_table_1

inner join

(

select dim1, dim2, ..., AGG(meas1), AGG(meas2), ...

from actual_table_2

group by ...

) derived_table_2

on  derived_table_1.dim1 = derived_table_2.dim1

AND derived_table_1.dim2 = derived_table_2.dim2 ...

I hope this helps,

Robert

• 2. Re: Resolving chasm traps in Tableau
            Alex Kerin

That's a great answer Robert, and convinces me I must take a SQL class

• 3. Re: Resolving chasm traps in Tableau
              Robin Kennedy

Thanks very much for your input, Robert.

I also found an old discussion between yourself and Alex on these forums which helped confirm I was heading in the right direction

I found that the best approach for my needs was indeed to use data blending where each 'side' of the 'chasm' was aggregated up individually. I did run into a few issues where I did not want to see the level of detail of the field that defined the relationship between the two data sources in the view, but I could get around that by using WINDOW_SUM table calcs or by creating another data source pointing at the same tables but using a different aggregation.

I think Tableau 8's ability to blend without the use of the field in the viz will really help with these sorts of problems in future!

1 of 1 people found this helpful