2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2012 10:00 AM by Tracy Rodgers

Showing columns for NULL values in Bar Graphs

Saurabh Bharadwaj

I want to show the columns for a bar graph even if there are no values for a particular column.

For example, I am showing sales by Calendar Year (2010,11,12) filtered by Sales district.

If a sales district selected from the filter does not have any sales for a year, the column for that year is not shown. I want that column to remain.

I have tried the technique in http://kb.tableausoftware.com/articles/knowledgebase/null-values

but that does not work.

• 1. Re: Showing columns for NULL values in Bar Graphs
          Frank Hettlinger

I have tried that technique as well and cannot seem to get it to work in my database either. My issue is that when there is a null value in the data, I want it to show a zero like the graph in that example starts with. I can't use discrete values on the axis because I want my trend lines to take the zeroes into account to make them accurate. Very frustrating, and if I find a solution I will be sure to post it here.

• 2. Re: Showing columns for NULL values in Bar Graphs
            Tracy Rodgers

Hi Saurabh,

Is there null data or NO data in your data source for a particular year? If there is no data, then the information in the KB will not help. Tableau cannot create missing data values. For example, if you did not sell anything in 2009, Tableau does not create an entry for 2009 in your results. With Nulls, the row exists with some data, but some of the fields are blank. If this is the case, a lookup table can be created and joined to show a member for each year.

Hope this helps!

-Tracy